Veg tan leather’s PH level

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalman

Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to know if anyone made a search on the effect of the PH level in VEG tan leather on carbon knives.
I’m asking of course for leather sayas that I made for my knifes and don’t want any surprises after long time that the knife will seat in it.
Thanks!

Attachments

• BDD30EE4-3ABC-40C2-9990-F8F537704BD9.jpeg
    BDD30EE4-3ABC-40C2-9990-F8F537704BD9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
All of my knives on my wood mag racks have leather squares behind them. They are leather samples from furniture places. No idea what they are tanned with, but they’ve never left a mark on my reactive knives.

All of my knives on my wood mag racks have leather squares behind them. They are leather samples from furniture places. No idea what they are tanned with, but they’ve never left a mark on my reactive knives.
Thank you for the answer!
The leather usually used in furniture is chrome tanned, which I believe go through more processes to make it more waterproof and less reactive.
it has some different features but the main one for me is that it absorbing less liquids than the Veg tanned.
From a search that I made in the topic I found that both Veg and chrome tanned are about 3-4 Ph level.
If someone has more information I will appreciate it.

Last edited:
Not an expert by any means but have recently been playing with leather a bit and a common theme is not to use chrome tanned leather for anything in contact with steel ... knife sheaths, holsters, ... etc. The reason is because chrome tanned leathers are processed with chromium salts some of which will remain in the leather and will react with the steel. Again, do your own research but thought I'd toss this out there as a starter thought ... google is your friend.

Back