vegas knife show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only cook on special occasions these days so I really don't need more. I'm selling a lot of them. Although if I was buying the feather suji is a no brainer. Sister knife of the scimitar. The sam mai were very nice, both in stainless and carbon core. All the handles were very attractive. I couldn't tell you the woods though. TK would be able to.

[video=youtube_share;W74DJ5p_4DE]http://youtu.be/W74DJ5p_4DE[/video]

Sweet Salty. Thanks for posting. Sounds like a memorable weekend.

OT, but speaking of Ferraris, check out this link to a Shell commercial shown in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1_kwxzU4wL4&vq=medium

Ferrari pulled several of their race cars from various ages out of storage, flew them around the world, and filmed them running through the streets of Rome, Rio, New York, Hong Kong, Honolulu, and Monaco. (No computer graphics; these are the original cars on the original streets.) The best part is the sound. Incredible machines.

Wow! I guess it has more impact once you drive one. I only had it up to 120. I was a little paranoid. Went north, scoped the route and did a U. Traffic was heavier than I would have liked even though we were in the boonies. Cross winds gusting to 60 mph. It was big on the news that day. The valets informed me later that if I got caught doing 120 they'd throw me in jail an inpound the car. Quite frankly that was the least of my worries.

P.S. It red lines at 9K I didn't even come close.

120 probably felt like it was just getting warmed up right? Had to feel great even with a crosswind though. I remember doing that on my cycle back in my 20's. My 1999 CBR1100XX felt like that was where you were supposed to run it when you hit 120.

That commercial is incredible. Stirs the soul even if you are not into cars/engines. The pros behind the wheel have some nerve, in addition to skill. I think it would be fun to take a Ferrari for a few laps around a track with an instructor in the passenger seat, but would be real nervous about getting behind the wheel of one for the first time (particularly a pricey rental) on crowded city streets.

EXACTLY! It was actually a relief when they picked it up.

Here's a video of a Ferrari 275 GTB ripping through the streets of early morning Paris... crank it up!This was shot in 1976 so it's a bit grainy but the sound is great

http://www.vimeo.com/7425846

I've seen this one before too. Pretty reckless if, in fact, it wasn't staged (and it sure doesn't look like it was), but fun to watch!

It wasn't staged and the guy filming was arrested a couple days after it was shot,but he wouldn't give up the driver(who was in fact a pro F1 driver I believe)

That's wild. Not sure what the appropriate punishment is for doing that...guy certainly ran more than a handful of red lights. Great video though. ;)

I would like to thank Salty dog and TK59 for the great time in Vegas. My wife thought I was crazy to want to go to Vegas for a Knife show but she indulged me and we had a great time. I would also like to thank Devin for his hospitality and friendliness. For those of you that haven't seen his knives, they really are fantastic. I really wanted to purchase one at the show but my wife laid down the law and ... well im sure you guys know how that goes. I think I may take a trip to his workshop. I know she wont go there and then we'll see. Salty brought along a couple of his knives including the famous Devin scimitar. It's so much cooler in person. TK brought some knives also and some stones. I watched him sharpen Devins mystery steel knife and I'll let him talk about that. I really learned a lot about sharpening and what to look for when examining a Knife(TK59 is very thorough in his examination of knives) and it has fueled my knife craze even more. I couldn't have asked for a better company on this trip. Thanks guys. Hope to do it again sometime.

Here's a video of a Ferrari 275 GTB ripping through the streets of early morning Paris... crank it up!This was shot in 1976 so it's a bit grainy but the sound is great

http://www.vimeo.com/7425846

Please abstain from posting these videos without the proper warning of wearing a condom or a sock at least to avoid getting your load all over the friggin room.

It was great to finally meet Salty, Phoneman (and his wife), Hoss and part of the Thomas clan. I had no idea how it would go and I was prepared for the worst. My only regret was not being able to stay a bit longer.

Handles: My favorites were the ironwood (including the one mc2442 pointed out) and cocobolo handles. There was a bocote and a few different stabilized wood handles that I don't recall.

The highlights were sharpening Salty's scimitar (I was sweating messing that one up, let me tell you, esp. with the curvature.) and Devin's super wear-resistant stainless (which sharpens up very nicely, btw. No diamonds required - G400-1k-5k = decent tomato test... I didn't bring a strop.), and meeting/picking everyone's brains.:doublethumbsup:

I picked up a 240 super wear resistant. I'm very excited at the prospect of doing a little testing soon (and maybe grinding a few knives). :D

One more thing: the Travis Wurtz belt grinder is awesome.

It was great to finally meet Salty, Phoneman (and his wife), Hoss and part of the Thomas clan. I had no idea how it would go and I was prepared for the worst. My only regret was not being able to stay a bit longer.

Handles: My favorites were the ironwood (including the one mc2442 pointed out) and cocobolo handles. There was a bocote and a few different stabilized wood handles that I don't recall.

The highlights were sharpening Salty's scimitar (I was sweating messing that one up, let me tell you, esp. with the curvature.) and Devin's super wear-resistant stainless (which sharpens up very nicely, btw. No diamonds required - G400-1k-5k = decent tomato test... I didn't bring a strop.), and meeting/picking everyone's brains.:doublethumbsup:

I picked up a 240 super wear resistant. I'm very excited at the prospect of doing a little testing soon (and maybe grinding a few knives). :D

One more thing: the Travis Wurtz belt grinder is awesome.

Trip sounds like it was awesome. Also pics of the new super wear resistant or it didn't happen?

IMG_6510.jpg

THE WOLFPACK.

Not a lot of hair going on in that photo. Too many sharpness tests? :D

Were any knives left over? If so, will they be sold direct, or through a commercial vendor?

I'm sure there were close to a dozen left over. I checked them all out. I didn't see anything remotely suggesting a dud in the bunch. I think the dark-etched blade is a 19c27 core. It would have been interesting to check out Devin's take on the steel Suisin uses for it's stainless lines. Some of the mystery carbon san mai blades would have looked striking with a little etching, I think. You could see where you might get the effect seen on a Burke san mai or a one of those thinned HiroAS's. Devin also had an interesting take on the "line knife." A shorter, stout knife but thin where it counts. I'd have liked to try that out as well. As alwayse, too many pretties and too little funds.

Were any knives left over? If so, will they be sold direct, or through a commercial vendor?

I'm interested also.
Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Haha. It was a feeble attempt but not bad for a first, in my estimation. :) BTW, the bottom blade is my 270 mm DT-ITK in AEB-L.

Hmmmm... That photo looks oddly familiar... I Should spoil it since you called me a yeti... Haha

-Chuck

I meant it in the nicest way possible? :surrendar:

Back