VG-10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the other thing VG 10 seems to be quite widely available and I've never known a Western maker to use it. Good observation

I believe that Japan didn't export VG10 for the longest time, only finished products. That's what led to situations where US-based companies like Spyderco contracted with Japanese shops to make VG10 knives for them to be sold under the Spyderco label.

but also china has been producing vg-10 i know in the last few years but not for how long

There make VG10 knives, but import the steel from Japan.

Found that the window between "enough finger pressure to really abrade metal when resetting a bevel" and "enough pressure to start cracks in the hagane" is not thaaaat large with certain single bevel designs made of VG10 ... :shocked3: luckily no fatal damage, no super expensive knife... and I'm not THAT strong in the fingers (a double bass player meaning business would have probably snapped the blade)...

Found that the window between "enough finger pressure to really abrade metal when resetting a bevel" and "enough pressure to start cracks in the hagane" is not thaaaat large with certain single bevel designs made of VG10 ... :shocked3: luckily no fatal damage, no super expensive knife... and I'm not THAT strong in the fingers (a double bass player meaning business would have probably snapped the blade)...

Where do you need that pressure for? Good coarse waterstones don't need it for abrading steel.

@Benuser Cho 400 actually! There was a mm or so of blade road to take down (resetting a ~35 degree visible bevel to zero :) ), though, and not much happened unless using pressure...

Ok...and that was with solid VG-10?? IIRC VG-10 isn't that abrasion resistant. Some make a bit of mud on the Chosera to get it started.
And thinking about it, yes, I remember having used quite a bit of pressure when thinning of course, to determine exactly the location of abrasion.

Not going too detailed because I do not want to name manufacturer and model in public post- in the end, I did a heavy modification and can't blame it on the maker, I do not think their steel is faulty.

Strange because my tojiro have taken an absolute beating and i probably thinned them more than would be recommended and they're alright.

Maybe I was misinterpreting what I saw - I would suspect a hairline crack seeing a black line in a ura after wiping off swarf ....

It could be any number of things! No doubt it's pretty brittle steel. Definitely more so than most other cheap stainless.

Back