• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

vg10 or aebL 150ish mm for gift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wphill

Reaction score
I'm looking for a stainless steel knife that I can pass onto a family friend.
They already have a full set of cutco knives...and love them. So this is a tall
order to find a j knife that won't be too demanding in terms of up keep
and still give them that wow factor. Cutco is awful to knife nuts, but not
to many. F&F is fairly good with this brand.

I rule out AUS 8 steel. VG10 tojiro DP is my current pick, but the 150 petty
is too short and to get more knife there's too much weight. I need to stay
under 5.5 ounces. The friend to use the knife needs something light for
her hands in order to make it a hit. She has had two surgeries.

I'm willing to work on a used knife to make it "like new."
The wow factor requires good performance, SS, a utility profile,
and light weight. Retention needs to be decent...nothing super,
but not awful. They do have access to a local j-knife sharpening service.

Who knows, someone might have a Tanaka Vg10 santuko that fits the bill.
They used to be out there at a reasonable cost.

With the yen being so strong..hard to find what I want at my budget....around 50-70.00

I know that my request is a stretch.
thanks,Bill

Why not something like this? OOps, just re-read and it looks like this is exactly what you are after...the price is certainly right and MM is all good as long as you aren't in a big rush or expect great communication.:)

I've had this on my radar! The shape of the handle might fall short. Ever hold one like it?

It's very much a version of cheaper western handle sans bolster. Handle size will be fine for someone who wants a smaller lighter knife. Tang doesn't run through the full length of the handle, I think it's around 1/2 to 2/3.
I've gifted I think a 190mm gyuto from that line http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/117 this one but via his ebay shop. Unfortunate that its out of stock for now. I held onto it long enough to check for F&F issues and give it a quick initial edge before passing it on to the recipient, wish I could remember anything specific about the feel of the handle besides that it didn't bother me at all as someone with size S hands. Might be worth inspecting for a bit to see if there are corners that may need to be sanded down a touch.
Compared to Cutco, the edge retention on these things will be loads better assuming they're not going to be used in abusive ways :)
Also with Ho wood wa-handles, thinner 210-240mm can still run about 5-6 ounces, though I wouldn't necessarily want for that kind of less abuse friendly handle to end up in Cutco style maintenance :p

Tanaka vg-10 150mm petty's are what you are looking for! Had the tojiro dp one but its way to narrow. I have the tanaka petty and it's super light and nimble. I'm pretty sure they are under $70 shipped on ebay!

We have the tanaka vg10 150 petty. We like it enough that it reminds me that all the bad rap on the steel is not justified. A delicate knife, though. A big change for a family accustomed to cutco. The ps60 120mm is still where I am going. Not nearly as versatile as a santoku but has some height or at least not ultra narrow, good performer, and sturdy. Continue to appreciate all the input. Good description of the tanaka from MM. Interesting excercise in how to introduce others into our world when the other is really not asking.

In that price range, I think you're on the right track with the Tojiro DP range. Apart from being the right price range, they don't require any special care. I bought the Tojiro santoku for my sister a couple of months back and she is totally in awe of it. She had German style knives but cannot believe how easy every task is now with the Tojiro. She hasn't used her old knives since.

The santoku might be a tad large at 170mm but there's also the 150mm petty. Prices from James at K&S are <$53 and <$40 respectively (before shipping).

Mark,
The santoku by Tojiro Dp/170mm is 6.8 ounces....while the cutco santoku is 6.6 ounces.
Tojiro, unfortunately, does not carry a true (tall) utility knife at 150mm.
Mark R. carries the line at decent prices....the weight is my issue. A shorter santoku might have made the difference.

Misono MV line has three santoku sizes: 140, 160 and 180 mm. The 180 mm is the heaviest at 5.5 oz and the rest even lighter, but the steel might be too soft for your liking. There is Misono 440 180 mm santoku with better steel, but a little bit heavier (just under 6 oz)

you folks are confusing me by referring to ounces...i thought everyone weighed knives in grams? :scratchhead:

Mark,
The santoku by Tojiro Dp/170mm is 6.8 ounces....while the cutco santoku is 6.6 ounces.
Tojiro, unfortunately, does not carry a true (tall) utility knife at 150mm.
Mark R. carries the line at decent prices....the weight is my issue. A shorter santoku might have made the difference.

My apologies for my late night response. Thought I knew the knife and responded without reading your OP carefully and didn't heed your weight requirements and the shortcomings of the petty.

The Tanaka santoku recommended by chinacats seems to fit the bill if the handle suits your friend. I would also consider the Tojiro DP series without the bolster - they are lighter than the bolster models. For example the 170mm santoku (F-311) is 130g (4.6oz). They also have a 180mm "chef" knife (F-312) that comes in at 120g (4.2oz). There are even lighter options in the range that may suit her needs.

Back