Video: Day In The Life of a Line Cook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse the commoner intrusion but this video popped up in my feed and I figured I'd share it.

Maybe a little sparse on details and no drama but I thought it was enjoyable.

On the fillet, is it me, or does he cut it kinda weird for plating? It's like he starts at an angle and then drops flat. Is there a reason there or just an individual thing?

Anyway, whatchya think cooks?

I’m sorry but I HATE when people write their “labels” on lids. It’s almost as bad as people who write on the plastic wrap.

78 reservations and how many cooks/chefs ? Ok not really chefs in the states. This is so much different in Europe with 3 years of appreanticeship.
The fillet trimming is like, go the **** out of my restaurant!

The served food looks quite nice, so not too bad at all.

SirCutALot

Curious, my workplace always empathizes on using different colour chopping boards. I've gotten called out a few times just because it's during a busy dinner service, I needed to slice something really quick on a chopping board that was set up for service but not the correct colour. But then I've also had some work trials in some high end restaurants that only uses white chopping board. This vid also only seem to have white boards. How strict are food inspectors in your countries regarding colour coded boards?

Curious, my workplace always empathizes on using different colour chopping boards. I've gotten called out a few times just because it's during a busy dinner service, I needed to slice something really quick on a chopping board that was set up for service but not the correct colour. But then I've also had some work trials in some high end restaurants that only uses white chopping board. This vid also only seem to have white boards. How strict are food inspectors in your countries regarding colour coded boards?

@M1k3?

Well, last inspection at my current place, they didn't give a **** about it. Most of the places I've been at previously didn't use color coded. I believe it's more a corporate "harm reduction and people are stupid" insurance policy.

Yea, I hate labels on lids. They can be mixed/matched and lost. Its weird to me but I guess writing directly on containers is fine if it's single use. Juicing a few things by hand is okay, but at that amount its better to use some kind of juice reamer. Seems like a good amount of food left in the pan when plating. The filet is cut kinda thick, but the angle looks fine to me. Weird to rest it on a towel. Health code doesnt allow towels under cutting boards where I'm from. All the dishes looked kinda meh to me🤷‍♂️

Not a cook.

He's shaved.
He's well attired.
No visible tats.
He reads English.
He's organized.
No smoke breaks through the whole video.

Color coded boards - My county health inspector has no requirement. My state inspector has no requirement. My corporate has a requirement but does not fund it - and they're not available through my corporate "approved" shopping resources.

Not a cook.

He's shaved.
He's well attired.
No visible tats.
He reads English.
He's organized.
No smoke breaks through the whole video.

Color coded boards - My county health inspector has no requirement. My state inspector has no requirement. My corporate has a requirement but does not fund it - and they're not available through my corporate "approved" shopping resources.
It is probably AI generated. Nice spot @daveb. Gotta be weary of these new Blade Runners replacing all of the real human cooks. We'll be okay for a little while until they start making robots that can smoke and grow facial hair and then all bets are off.

Latest posts

Back