• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Vitrified diamond 3-5k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I keep missing the sale times for BBB, and Practical Sharpening seems to be still working out the process.

If you impulse-bought one and realized it's overkill, or have an extra, let me know! I have some high alloy steels that have really benefitted from my other diamond stone, but I'm missing one in this grit range.

Not necessarily married to vitrified, but looking for even distribution of abrasive that tends to come with these. Don't need super speed, just ability to get a consistent edge with harder carbide steels, both in the kitchen and in the pocket.

Cheers!

1639005854463.png

Man I'm dumb, I didn't even look since I thought this would be a hard find.
You mentioned that it's got a strange odor, which I could probably live with. What I'm most curious about is the edge bite. The 6k JKI isn't quite bitey enough over the long haul for me. Any comparison thoughts for this one?

The 3K edge I like a lot more than the JKI diamond 6K. I think I like ~3K for finishing kitchen knives.

So in that respect I like it more. Cutting is about the same for JKI 6K diamond vs 3K . . . .but the Sangyo resin bond seems harder, so slower wearing. The JKI ones shed slurry and I see green slurry from the stone while sharpening . . . Even immediately. These are quite a bit harder . . . .didn't notice them shed grit much at all, but I didn't push it much.

The feedback is more plastickly and smooth . . . . The binder is softer or more porous on the JKI ones, whereas the Sangyo one I have is more splash and go sort of feel.

That's why I had sold the JKI 6k. I kept the 1K because it was still fast and didn't glaze up as quickly when sharpening. . . . Well they slow down when they load up but they still keep cutting. That's when to use the supplied nagura...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back