Wakui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I promised here are the photos of my wakui 240 mm.

1431867677959.jpg

1431867688760.jpg

1431867700598.jpg

here's mine:

My knife is 265mm on the edge, 55mm tall and weighs 220g

Looks a whole lot like my ittonomon in the up close shots.

Just picked up a lightly used wakui 210 gyuto from bernal for $160. Steal!!!!

Just picked up a lightly used wakui 210 gyuto from bernal for $160. Steal!!!!

They were $150 new without the handle upgrade before but a vendor selling ones with upgraded handles complained. Now only ones with upgraded handles exist unfortunately.

They were $150 new without the handle upgrade before but a vendor selling ones with upgraded handles complained. Now only ones with upgraded handles exist unfortunately.

Yeah, tough to say but the Jknife game has been flipped on its head over the last 3-4 years with the ridiculous surge in "cooks" in our industry. Takedas were $240 for the 240mm super in 2012. They are $380 now for the same if not worse knife. I know these wakuis a few years back were indeed going for $150-170 for the 240!! But yeah, these 210 wakuis with shirogami #2 are retailing for $250 at my same cutlery. so the $100 I saved on a new one was definitely worth it imo.

There are some choil shots over at Kitchen Knife Fora. They look thicker than the kasumi knives.

There are iron clad KU versions and stainless clad KU versions. Both appears to be very close in terms of profiles, geometry and f&f (I'd say equal, but if you probably could spot some differences if you search for them long enough). The Kasumi version is noticeably thinner.

210mm stainless KU
20955327635_90cc413957_c.jpg

On this shot it might looks like a beefy knife, but I assure you that it's a wonderful cutter and doesn't needs any thinning out of the box to perform well.

210mm Kasumi
20332738354_3df9f633c0_c.jpg

Yeah, my wakui isnt KU just regular old shiro2 clad with SS but the knife seemed a bit thick ootb. A bit of wedginess imo. Definitely does not have the cut feel of a laser. These are more of a "workhorse" knife in my opinion which is why it sits on my line all day during prep as well as all night during service.

Yeah, tough to say but the Jknife game has been flipped on its head over the last 3-4 years with the ridiculous surge in "cooks" in our industry. Takedas were $240 for the 240mm super in 2012. They are $380 now for the same if not worse knife. I know these wakuis a few years back were indeed going for $150-170 for the 240!! But yeah, these 210 wakuis with shirogami #2 are retailing for $250 at my same cutlery. so the $100 I saved on a new one was definitely worth it imo.

Actually this happened as recent as the past couple of weeks. I was saving up to get one and was ready to pull the trigger this past week and found the price hike. I was following the thread on the vendor's forum and it looks like they were forced to do it because another vendor that was already selling at the higher price complained to Wakui that they were not selling them at the higher price. (which doesn't make sense because they were selling it without upgraded handles). These same guys also sell Tadafusas at a higher price with semi custom handle. I hope they don't force the price up on those as well. I'm sure they're still worth the money but if you're looking for some killer value, time to look elsewhere.

$268 for a wakui ku 240mm gyuto w/ custom handle still seems like a good deal to me. My kasumi wakui cuts like a dream, i bought it for around $200 but even if I paid $300 or even more I think theyre worth it.

Anyone tried out / have choil shot of the kasumi suji?

I love mine, but have to admit, I preferred my KU over my kasumi, and as a result sold my kasumi. It was a great knife, though.

I love mine, but have to admit, I preferred my KU over my kasumi, and as a result sold my kasumi. It was a great knife, though.

Blade stiff or have some flex to it ?

$268 for a wakui ku 240mm gyuto w/ custom handle still seems like a good deal to me. My kasumi wakui cuts like a dream, i bought it for around $200 but even if I paid $300 or even more I think theyre worth it.

Sure, and the vendor has every right to set the price to whatever they want. But it still sucks that the option of Ho wood handle at $150 is no longer available everywhere else, especially for those of us who don't care for semi custom handles.

F**K it, pulled the trigger on the 240 Suji for $218, these suckers aint gonna get any cheaper. Will follow up when arrives

Back