Watching the Master at work...Kramer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely the latter! After the demonstration they talked for a long time and even took pictures with each other. It believe Murray Carter was also translating for two guests. I heard they were from the steel factory that produces the SG2 for the Kramer Zweilling line.

So Murray was trying to set up a deal to have knives stamped out with his name on them too?

I was there for a Kramer presentation, not to listen to peoples conversations. Overall Kramer gave a super great demo. He said that his 52100 has a grain structure that is at 2microns, and that his Kramer Zweilling line, with the particle steel, is almost as small. His personal attention and heat treat is obviously the difference.

It was really cool. Murray Carter showed halfway during the demonstration and talked with Mr. Kramer afterwards. It was awesome to see two of the greatest kitchen knifemakers in the world discussing their craft with each other.

Do you really think so ?

Yes, but don't let my opinion affect what you believe.

I did sweep method before I learned Japan style.Using fingerpads near the edge.pressure on trailing stroke.Moving along the edge heel to tip.It did not take long to master & I never had to use a dull knife again.

I watched Kramer's honing video,he made some good points until he said most people don't put enough pressure on the steel,my experience is that most people put too much press. on the steel.If you use a steel lite measured strokes on smooth steels or ceramics works best.

Not saying that his tech. sharpening not good.If you get the blade sharp thats what counts.I am a little biased though,feel that Japan style works best.

I use gloves with all of my grinders. I happen to like my skin intact and undamaged as one complete organ. Unless its a heat treated blade. At that point, when I say 'ouch!' (human skin feels pain from temperature at 115°F to 130°F...WAY below tempering temperature) its time to dunk it again lol.

Yes bare hand on blades soon as feel any heat dunk it.

Back