well? how are your tomatoes doing?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys followed me on Instagram, you'd see pics. Sorry..... :D

bt.jpg

Yea, why ruin it with some lettuce when you have tomatoes like that.

Hoss

our tomatoes are doing really well, but people keep stealing them from us. We always see the ones just before they are ready and always say, "lets eat them tomorrow". Then, when we come the next day, they are gone. Its not rodents or anything... just rude people passing by. Really sucks.

I had a big pineapple tomato turning, and went to pick it and a slug had hollowed it out from underneath. :curse:

The cherry tomatos are going nuts right now. We're saving the lettuce for them. Making BLT salads--quarter the cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with sea salt, and let drain for a bit. Mix up a dressing of mayo, red wine vinegar, and lots of black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes and some chopped scallions, then put on a bed of lettuce and top with chopped bacon. We've got so many cherry tomatoes right now that I'm using some of them to check my sharpening.

CherryToms.jpg

Using a pop-up greenhouse really made a difference this year--we're actually getting some beefsteak tomatoes. This bad boy has a BLT in his future...

Tom1.jpg

Tom2.jpg

Where we live the fog "reigns" during the summer which means we have given up growing out own tomatoes. But. We have a wonderful source of San Marzanos grown in Watsonville!! I cook them in a slow oven for 6 hours or so, put them through a tomato mill and freeze the most wonderful sauce/paste you have seen!

Nice haul! Due to our very late start and soil issues, the plants are just now fruiting. Our harvest won't really start for a couple more weeks. it will be a very short salsa and fresh tomato sauce season for us. At least out basil plants have been kicking butt; we've been swimming in pesto.

I am ticked off because two of the plants that I bought that were supposed to be Cherokee Purples are some type of Roma cross with a cherry tomato hybrid. They taste ok but I never would have bought them and for what I paid, I really wouldn't have bought them. I am still waiting on the last one that s/b Cherokee to start to color. Sun Golds and Sweet 100's are coming in like crazy now, but the plants are no where near as full as past years.

Finally reaping the fruits of our labor 2013 Tomatoes.jpg Pulled these in over the last 3 days. There are at least 3 dozen partially-ripe medium/ large tomatoes on the vines, and 2-3xs that amount of cherry/ plums. And over 50 very green medium/ large tomatoes. Unfortunately temps are dropping here today and we will be in the low 50s at night and only around 70 during the day, so most of what is out there may not make it to full ripeness :(

:drool: Our finished up a couple weeks ago. All we have left are ugly babies that are only good for demonstrations of pedal dexterity. Lots in the freezer, tho.

Have you ever tried pulling up the plants and hanging them in the garage upside down to ripen? I've heard that will work, although you want to put something under them to catch all the leaves that fall off. There's always fried green tomatoes.

I know these aren't tomatoes but thought this would be the best place to put the pic. Harvested the sweet potatoes yesterday in our small raised bed. This was the first year i did them. Some large ones and lots of small ones. The eggplants are still going strong too.

photo[1].jpg

Back