Western Handle Design Input

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really clean Marko , I do agree on having bit more contrast . Really liked the brass guard too. I loved the d-handle from you , but this may convert many people to western handles again :plus1:

Thanks folks. There will be more contrast between end cap and the handle wood in the coming handles. I might even insert another contrasting piece in the front, sandwiching the wood handle in between two contrasting pieces.

I will continue making wa handles, but I must admit that a Western handles has grown on me a lot in the past few weeks. I might make lengh modification on the D handle, based on some recent input and my personal observation from making a Western handle. I might also carry over some joinery from the Western handle to wa, making them a bit more unique in appearance.

M

By adjusting the length on the d-handle, do you mean to shorten it? I ask as the 3 I have are absolutely perfect, for me that is. I understand it's subjective and all, but I'm quite the fan of a bit larger handle. Just my little opinion though.

The balance point on the S grind Western blade is about 1" forward (will be a little further out on a heavy chef's). The handle is a hidden-tang, and there is a radius on the brass piece, to minimize feel of the natural wood movement. The handle is fully sealed and securely attached to the blade. It should last the life of the knife.

I would call this blade a workhorse, as there is plenty of steel on the spine to give a good rigidity and weight, even though the knife is very thin above the edge. The edge is serviceable along the whole lengh (thickness above the edge at 10mm or so is comparable along the whole lengh from the tip to the heel).

M

PS: I have been making oversize wa handles for larger knives, these will be ones to modify if necessary. I am going to take another look at those. I might come up with a tweak, or maybe some sort of modification to the handle and offer it as an option. The extra length gets in a way of a tip work on a large knife.

Sorry for the rambling. Been thinking about this all morning.

The solution to the oversize handle getting in the way of a tip work might be a D-hybrid western. It's shorter, the neck (machi) is comparable to a true Western. In short, it might be more suitable handle for larger knives for folks who want a wa handle.

I am exploring a possibility to move away from a long-neck (machi) knives altogether.

I'd love to see a nice 1/8" domed pin in the center of that western handle to really set it off. Beautiful design Marko!

Back