What’s your favorite beater knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blumbo

just a normal dude
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many gorgeous knives posted here every day, but what do you reach for when you can’t be bothered to find a can opener or need to get through some bones?

For me a beater needs to cost under $100 (which is still a lot of money btw). Having said that for me is a Fibrox, hatsukokoro I got for cheap from Phil and a Shiro Kamo that also got for cheap from Phil.

Carbon Misono 165 yo-deba, if I'm sure there will be damage. Reparered with a few strokes.
Both very robust, tough and crazy sharp.
Screenshot_20220827_125901_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

If you don't cut through bone, how do you get em in the trunk?
(Come on, it's Halloween!)
‐------------------
The old Chicago that's been in the family since the'70s. It's probably cut 80 tons of everything.

There are so many gorgeous knives posted here every day, but what do you reach for when you can’t be bothered to find a can opener or need to get through some bones?
How do you open a can with a knife? What technique and knife do you use? Honest question. FWIW, I have a can opener.

How do you open a can with a knife? What technique and knife do you use? Honest question. FWIW, I have a can opener.

I have used the heel of the knife to open a tin of olive oil or at least add a vent hole so it doesn't glug. I will use whatever knife is around for this. Also I have used the heel of a knife to pierce steel lids on glass jars to break the vacuum. Sort of similar.

The other day I was teaching a community culinary class with a bunch of high school kids. We were making hummus.

The only can opener I had broke on the first of four cans of garbanzos I was trying to open. I ended up using a beverage bottle / can opener like the one below. The key is to poke a triangle on one side. Then the opposite side. Then halfway between each triangle working your way around until you can pry a hole big enough with your beater knife to get the beans out. You can't poke a hole immediately next to another hole very well. The opener wants to slip. You gotta work your way around like tightening lug nuts. Star pattern.

Screenshot_20231009-143309~2.png

It's easy!

First you put the point of the knife in the rim of the can, then you whack the back of the knife, then you grab some rags to clean up the contents/tomatoes of the can which have spilled all over the kitchen, finally you put some band aids on the cut in your hand because the knife slipped when you whacked it.

It's easy!

First you put the point of the knife in the rim of the can, then you whack the back of the knife, then you grab some rags to clean up the contents/tomatoes of the can which have spilled all over the kitchen, finally you put some band aids on the cut in your hand because the knife slipped when you whacked it.

I should’ve googled it first, to learn how to do it safely. I suppose workhorses would work best—Kato, Watanabe, Tsourkan. ;)

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 3.02.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 3.01.15 PM.png

I guess my ol' trusty wusty, Le Cordon Bleu, is the closest I have to a beater unless I want to dig up my camping equipment. It will never open a can, or go in the dishwasher. I might have been known to smack a small bone with the spine of the knife to break it, but it is not abused in any way, it's a fine knife.
wustof-and-rosemary.jpg

Fibrox-handled extra tall 8" chef's knife from Victorinox. It takes a great edge and is sturdy enough for most any task... meant for a knife, that is. I've got other proper tools for chopping through bones or opening cans :D

I suppose another way of defining 'beater knives'—are those I'd feel comfortable lending to a knife-novice/friend/relative to assist with prepping. In my kitchen, they'd probably get: Masamoto HC, Sabatier, Mac, Wustof, Misono UX10, CCK.

Latest posts

Back