What are we listening to lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early ZZ Top.. It's kinda hard to grasp just how awesome it really is.

Lars

Early ZZ Top.. It's kinda hard to grasp just how awesome it really is.

I know right? Man back in the day they just went from strength to strength. And apparently La Futura isn't a bad Rick-Rubin-produced return to form.

Right now I'm swinging back to death metal. Haven't listened to it in years, but for whatever reason I need it now. Death has always been one of my favorites. Chuck Schuldiner (RIP!) was so consistent, and with each album he just got better and better. And this song has one of the best opening breakdowns/guitar solos ever for my money. Makes you feel like a god:

[video=youtube;FnMgUBZ3H9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMgUBZ3H9c[/video]

Also listening to some Ice-T. You either like hip hop or you don't, but even so, I think there's something for everyone on this album. Ice is on top of his game here. By turns funky, fun, angry, horrifying, sobering, and sarcastic, this is one of the best albums of the 80s, regardless of genre. And how can you beat the album art?

If you can separate yourself from the gangsta rap hype/bravado and all that baggage and just take a song like this at face value you'll hear some of the best storytelling in pop. And also some of the most horrifying:

[video=youtube;z6y8i1sbfco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6y8i1sbfco[/video]

Death grips- bottomless pit
Pink Floyd-division bell
Zeppelin-physical graffiti
Tragedy-first 2 lps
411-discography lp
The roots-things fall apart
Neil young-sleeps with angels
Death-human
Carcass-surgical steel

Death grips- bottomless pit
Pink Floyd-division bell
Zeppelin-physical graffiti
Tragedy-first 2 lps
411-discography lp
The roots-things fall apart
Neil young-sleeps with angels
Death-human
Carcass-surgical steel

Some good stuff here. "Heartwork" is one of my favorite albums. Reminds me of one of my college roommates who worshipped that band. One night at a party his drunk ass thought the best way to get girls was to quote lyrics from that album. Will never forget him slurring the words "Arbeit Macht Fleisch" to some nonplussed coed.

Good call on the Division Bell. That album's hated on for some reason, but I think "marooned" is one of the best things David Gilmour ever did. Maybe the critics thought it was mawkish, but I bought into it 100%.

Heh, Death. Just posted one of their songs. Amazing band. Love "lack of comprehension" and "flattening of emotions" off that album.

And all that Physical Graffiti makes me think of is "Trampled Under Foot." I'm not a Zep fan, but even I can get behind that song. Such a grinder.

PS: Here's a great "lost" track from Nick Mason from the ultraweird Donald Cammell film WHITE OF THE EYE (highly recommended if you're into cult/weird cinema). Sounds very Floyd-ish.

[video=youtube;RcF8zPYifBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcF8zPYifBQ[/video]

If you really like the more evil, "torn" timings Death did - think Bite The Pain, Philosopher... listen up on Pestilence (Spheres and Obsideo especially).

Some death metal moments to know:

Pestilence - the crass breakdown in "Out of the body" (from the Consuming Impulse album)
Bolt Thrower - the searing, slow solo towards the end in "As the world burns"
Entombed - the middle part of "Chaos Breed", slowly morphing a one note riff into a very aromatic solo
Entombed - the savage ending (no gimmick here, just the atmosphere) of "Drowned"
At The Gates - the guitar run and end break in "Under a serpent sun"
Morbid Angel, "secured limitations" - hate the song, but luckily it turns into a sweet jazz piece ....
Morbid Angel, "he who sleeps" - very underrated song :)
Dismember... the whole "indecent and obscene" album ... looks and sounds rough and savage, sophisticated as all hell under that surface.
Disincarnate... "stench of paradise burning" ... perfectly walks the line between grindy/atonal and melodic...
Bolt Thrower - Cenotaph.
My Dying Bride - Vast Choirs (4:20 ;) ). Forever People.
Cragataska - Sessizlik.

Carcass? Oh, seen them live few days after the paris incident. It really felt safe - Jeff's scarier than any terrorist, in a good way :)

Oh, and for some brilliant electronic stuff, without deviating from the "music too aggressive and baleful for people trusted with knives" theme :

[video=youtube;Ff7_cwQS5eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7_cwQS5eE[/video]

apparently La Futura isn't a bad Rick-Rubin-produced return to form.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly, Rubin has a history of producing amazing albums and allowing them to be completely destroyed in mastering. A back to basics ZZ Top album sound like a great idea though. Fingers crossed..

Lars

Thanks for the tip. Sadly, Rubin has a history of producing amazing albums and allowing them to be completely destroyed in mastering. A back to basics ZZ Top album sound like a great idea though. Fingers crossed..

Lars

Gladly. Read a short review of it here. From what I've listened to so far (not much at all), it does sound kinda generic/watered down, but I want to listen to it in full to give it the attention it deserves. NOTE: be prepare for a (very) gravelly voiced Gibbons. I recommend you check out some of the cutzz on YouTube. You owe it to the boyzz :cool2:

Gladly. Read a short review of it here. From what I've listened to so far (not much at all), it does sound kinda generic/watered down, but I want to listen to it in full to give it the attention it deserves. NOTE: be prepare for a (very) gravelly voiced Gibbons. I recommend you check out some of the cutzz on YouTube. You owe it to the boyzz :cool2:

Ordered it yesterday, so will give it a listen when it arrives.. I owe them boys nothing at all..

Lars

Been listening to some classic drum and bass lately. Biggest revelation is the Photek stuff. This stuff sounds WAY better than I remembered it back in '98!

[video=youtube;qIyjaSSUvfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIyjaSSUvfU[/video]

These beauties should keep me busy for awhile! Two stacked box sets of Tangerine Dream. Lovely.

QBdj8aj.jpg

Hey, finding two really good tips (the new Integrity, and Couch Slut) in a single metalsucks post is rare :)

I've been listening to a bit of Dr G Yunipingu since his untimely passing last week. A blind Australian Aboriginal musician, he had an otherworldly voice that was angelic, haunting and powerful all at once. It almost feels like it touches your soul. I don't think we'll hear it's like again.

Out of respect for Aboriginal customs regarding naming and images of the recently deceased, I won't post youtubes of him. If you want to listen, songs such as "Bapa", "Baru", "I was born blind" and "Wiyathul" will give you an idea if his style and his voice.

Vale Dr G.

I've been listening to a bit of Dr G Yunipingu since his untimely passing last week. A blind Australian Aboriginal musician, he had an otherworldly voice that was angelic, haunting and powerful all at once. It almost feels like it touches your soul. I don't think we'll hear it's like again.

Out of respect for Aboriginal customs regarding naming and images of the recently deceased, I won't post youtubes of him. If you want to listen, songs such as "Bapa", "Baru", "I was born blind" and "Wiyathul" will give you an idea if his style and his voice.

Vale Dr G.

Was such sad news. Hauntingly beautiful voice.

Wow reading trough all these posts makes me realize how different my music taste is :bigeek: Seeing all these old music pieces, vinyls, etc. really makes me wanna check out different genres. It makes me fee ashamed to say that I'm currently listening to modern rap or as everybody calls it "mumble rap."

[video=youtube;G6YGIgkOJlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YGIgkOJlE[/video]
[video=youtube;yVaOxqPDVJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVaOxqPDVJo[/video]

Finally got the album - pretty cool songs and some raunchy playing. Great band with all the swagger still intact.
Unfortunately it's clipped so hard it's just impossible to listen to. Everything distorting and no dynamics at all. Very sad.

Lars

I got a DAP (Cayin N3) and CIEMs (Custom Art Music Two) recently so I started to convert most of our CDs to FLAC and got some more albums. It is mix of pretty much everything (save for German Blasenmusik).
The Cayin N3 is a great player for the price with a nice sound stage and power management 10× better than my Fiio X1 that is now collecting dust

i would like to record all my vinyl records onto hard drive, but don't want to spend the money on good equipment for that process. i can do it now but the quality is not worth the hassle, besides i dont have the time :D

so for now, just streaming internet radio stations of 90s hiphop and alternative
There is also a couple youtube live streams for hip hop influenced jpop instrumentals and a game instrumental page that are great for work and reading.

Wow reading trough all these posts makes me realize how different my music taste is :bigeek: Seeing all these old music pieces, vinyls, etc. really makes me wanna check out different genres. It makes me fee ashamed to say that I'm currently listening to modern rap or as everybody calls it "mumble rap."
Dont feel ashamed. You cant escape it if you listen to top 40. It has its place. It gets your blood pumping before you go out on a Friday night.

This is a thread I can appreciate. I don't watch much content nowadays due to time contraints and my drinking has been limited to every so often. Music on the other hand is a life essential like salt, sugar and orgasms. Without them, what is the point of living?

prompted me to rediscover Roberta Flack, Eva Cassidy and Peter Tosh ( Reggae)

Yes.. all the way back 40 +

Rgds Z

Back