What are Your Game Changing Knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that the term "game-changing" is a compartive term. If you used a KitchenAid and then went to a Forschner, that would also be game-changing, no doubt. The biggest jump in performance I ever experienced was the Henckels to Glestain transition. I love my Rottman and Devin knives and they are excellent performers but I don't know that they were game changers at the point that I acquired them. After that, I'd say there were a few paradigm-shifting revelations for various reasons: Heiji, Carter, Zakuri, Kochi, and the latest is the Gengetsu.

The Gengetsu is on my short list as well, I get the shifts with Heiji and Carter, what is it about the Zakuri that provided a revelation. For some reason every time I am on Jons site I look at them but have never heard much about them.

The Gengetsu is on my short list as well, I get the shifts with Heiji and Carter, what is it about the Zakuri that provided a revelation. For some reason every time I am on Jons site I look at them but have never heard much about them.
The Zakuri I tried out basically shattered by ideas (at the time) about what a thick knife could and couldn't do. Impressive knives...

Wusthoff Gyuto: Taught me that knives could actually be sharp.

Watanabe Petty: Taught me what sharp actually means.

Shigefusa Gyuto w a Marko rehandle: Taught me how great it is to have the whole package.

The Zakuri I tried out basically shattered by ideas (at the time) about what a thick knife could and couldn't do. Impressive knives...

Tinh, If you're going to say that is showing how good a "thick" knife can cut you need to mention the Hide.... Maybe I'll let you borrow that at some point as a reminder.

About two years ago I switched from a 10" rosewood Forschner to a Takeda 240mm gyuto....man talk about an eye opening experience. Different in every way (profile, height, steel makeup, sharpening...I mean everything was different). I have not been the same since.

My first Moritaka Chinese cleaver. It was the first knife I custom ordered to my own specs that really opened my eyes to just opening a dialogue with a knife maker and getting what you wanted. Here is a video they made for me when I asked if they could take a few pictures when they made my knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CXe6k1Ne0

I have had other custom made to order knives since then, but the first one holds a special place in my heart.

Tinh, If you're going to say that is showing how good a "thick" knife can cut you need to mention the Hide.... Maybe I'll let you borrow that at some point as a reminder.
You bought a Hide, too?!!! I thought you were cutting down on your collection?!! How many gyutos do you have now?!!! Sheesh. I do have to agree, that knife is some kinda cutter, esp. considering it's so thick. Too bad Jon is thinking of discontinuing it.

Sorry to get off topic, but I just picked up one of those new zakuri 150mm Pettys and I'm pretty impressed! Im alittle surprised there isn't more talk about them. I might have to write a review.

My first knives where my Fujiwara FKH Suji and Tojiro DP Nakiri. That Nakiri can take a woopin.. and it's very easy to keep more then shape enough to push cut almost anything.

My Yoshihiro Showed me what a decent gyuto is capable of. Have a Tadatsuna in the mail and very excited XD

I have no game :cry:

But I have lots of nice knives that make it look like I do :D
Gosh, can I relate... except I barely even have knives. Hehehe.

For me, moving from stamped steel hand-me-down hardware store knives and "EverSharp" Farberware "housewarming gift" knives to a Solingen-made Henckels slicer and French Sab parer changed the way I thought about cutting and food prep. But my game-changer is more recent, a $9 Chinese-made KAI bread knife. :D

Mine's been mentioned many times.

Takeda AS gyuto. It's ugly but it's pretty. The 240mm got me addicted to Japanese cutlery, and my wallet hasn't been the same since.

I'm really thinking about custom ordering a Moritaka chukabocho with hammer-patterned kurouchi damascus.

Back