What cutting technique to use with this KIWI knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
What cutting technique should one use with this KIWI knife here?

pSu8MCI.jpg

Rock chopping doesnt really work because the knife is too short and the tip is too low and pointy, which will cause it to dig into the board. Chopping doesnt work well because it has too much belly to prevent accordioning with most stuff. Push- and pull cuts also work only half-assedly because of the low, sharp tip and the distinct belly. I have tried a hybrid technique where I do a push cut most of the way, through a tomato for instance, then reverse direction and turn it into a pull-cut/draw cut with the tip on the board. I found that technique to be rather awkward and slow though.

So, what is the recommended technique for that kind of knife/profile?

Push cut with some guillotine and glide movement might work well? Basically add a little handle rocking down movement at the end to cut accordion attachments.

It's good for a push cut with a small amount of rocking play in the wrist at the end of the downwards movement - basicly what milkbaby said.
You're not wrong though in saying there's too much belly/not enough flatspot. Probably done to make it difficult to accidently grind a recurve into them.

I have a knife with a similar profile and I use a hybrid push-cut/rock chop motion that is essentially what milkbaby describes above... and now, what Kippington has also described above since I began this post...

It's good for a push cut with a small amount of rocking play in the wrist at the end of the downwards movement - basicly what milkbaby said.
You're not wrong though in saying there's too much belly/not enough flatspot. Probably done to make it difficult to accidently grind a recurve into them.

This was the marketing travesty the Germans made about mid 20th century, a way to sharpen around the equally ridiculous full bolster, just keep sharpening along the belly to avoid recurve, instead of just doing things the right way.

Bread knife it on a diamond plate, that should help. o_O

This

You are over thinking this. Millions of South East Asians in Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam and Malaysia use this exact knife for everything on a daily basis. Just cut stuff with it. I prefer the Thai Penguin version more but I've used the Kiwi knife plenty of times in my kitchen.

Back