what food generates more negative comment? in your opinion. mine? BEETS.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another hated thing by most non-filipinos specially when it's being made coz of the stench it makes when being cooked....

bagoong

aka

fermented shrimp paste, we also have a version of this that's made from fermented fish, which is also just as vile smelling.

fish sauce when being made pretty much smells pretty foul.

Catchup stops me cold in my tracks, I don't get it, its like covering whatever you're eating in syrup. Whataburger catchup on fries is the only way I can do it, and at that I have to add generous amounts of hot sauce.

I've had many of the Filipino dishes here and liked most of them, the blood stew thing was, uh, too rich for my taste.

Catchup stops me cold in my tracks, I don't get it, its like covering whatever you're eating in syrup. Whataburger catchup on fries is the only way I can do it, and at that I have to add generous amounts of hot sauce.

I've had many of the Filipino dishes here and liked most of them, the blood stew thing was, uh, too rich for my taste.

Yup catsup/ketchup is just a way of ruining good tomatoes by turning them into candy. Never had a good version before.

Z

I used to live in Poulsbo Washington.
It was a little Norwegian town that catered to tourists.
Each year they had a 3 day festival called Viking fest.
Everyone dressed up like vikings and got drunk and acted stupid.
One of the events was a Lutefisk eating contest.
You learn quick to stay away from that event.
One of their favorite jokes was:
Q. How come there aren't any stupid people in Norway.
A. Because they all got jobs in Sweden as school teachers.

Wow, first person person I've found who also hates ketchup. Vile, noxious, tomato vinegar demon.

I'm pretty open, but organ meats are not for me, I have had both heart and liver, but cooking liver now makes my stomach turn. No brains, I have enough. I have eaten some strange things, which I occasionally talk about with my girls to gross them out. I haven't met a vegetable that I couldn't eat, although spinach from a can is not appealing, and I have eaten lots of wild veggies that are not longer a mainstay.
Del

lol. it's really good for those who are anemic though. oddly enough when i was a kid i hated the stuff. nowadays it's something i eat on a regular basis. =D

just have to get your mind away from the fact that you're eating cooked blood. it is mixed in with some vinegar to kill whatever pathogens and stewed out for a good long amount of time so it's pretty safe and tasty.

fermented shark meat and Surströmming, that stuff i refuse to eat. even if i was starving in a desert and had no other choice.

Strange, I love a good German, French or Spanish blood sausage, but that Filipino blood thing sounds gross.

Stefan

but that Filipino blood thing sounds gross.

if you actually take a look at the recipe and get the grossness idea out of the picture, you might wanna reconsider. =D

http://www.filipino-food-recipes.com/dinuguan.html''

this recipe i posted is just a variation of the dish, lots of versions depending on the region of origin. =D

nothing really gross about it. you can replace it with cow's blood if pig's blood isn't available.

not really that far off from blood sausage if you think about it.

it looks more like blood sausage in soup form. i do love blood sausage, both european and our version.

since you are based in hawaii, there are lots of filipino folks out there. maybe you could try it out from the residents there. =D

and as with all foods that are strange and gross, these are made out of necessity. waste not want not type of thing.

(i shut up about it now)

chocolate meat?

i dig filipino food. most of it. i dont eat much of the super rich blood stuff because of health limits...(gout), but i would if i could.

chocolate meat?

i dig filipino food. most of it. i dont eat much of the super rich blood stuff because of health limits...(gout), but i would if i could.

I don't understand why people love blood sausages or blood patties seem pretty gross to me but I don't know because I have never tried them

I don't understand why people love blood sausages or blood patties seem pretty gross to me but I don't know because I have never tried them

i could point out a segment of our population that would recoil in horror to the fact that we eat beef.

just different strokes for different folks. side by side, if you laid out the ingredients, i bet a modern hot dog is much more horrific (on paper) hehe. i've seen them made at the Peyton hot dog company. took years before i ate them again..and i still rarely do.

in general, i think society has changed around us. back in the day, i think the organs and blood were the part of the animal that provided the most minerals and nutrition to people that need energy to burn. now with our much more civilized lives, maybe we just dont need the octane boost anymore. dunno.

i still NEVER knock a people's food. ever. i consider it bad form.

exactly whatever floats your boat to each his own

That's why I try to stick to Beef hotdogs but still you never know with those things

I barely ever eat them EVER not saying I wont but I wont go out and buy them if you know what I mean

Very late answer but I love beets, in Greece we mainly eat as cold salad together with a walnut/garlic dip hmmmmmmmm home :)

I can't do innards of any sort. I even take the casings off sausage. I did try a chicken heart at some Brazilian restaurant in FL and that's the last of them nasty things.

It's taken me almost over 30 years to like brussel sprouts. Cut in half, tossed with evoo, s&p, red pepper flakes, then roasted and hit with a squeeze of lemon coming out of the oven....yummy! Beets, not so fond of. Tastes like dirt to me.

The one thing I love but no one else in my house likes are sweet potatoes. My husband will try anything once but put a sweet potato in front of him and he goes green lol.

I did try a chicken heart at some Brazilian restaurant in FL and that's the last of them nasty things.

chicken hearts, or any heart are essentially mostly muscle. so if you can think of it as a muscle, it's just basically meat that pumps blood. =D

tasty, really low in fat (assuming your animal isn't a fat one), and good for you too.

Back