What have I got myself into? :newhere:

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apathetic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just joined this site and I am enjoying it so far!
I am still new to the knife world, it all started with an innocent thought really: how would a good knife feel like?
I had been using cheap knives in the beginning and thought I should upgrade to something decent. So I went online to see what I could find. After quite a bit of research I ended up getting a sakai yusuke white steel gyuto. Sure it was scary to jump directly from cheap knives to a carbon knife, but might as well go all out :)
And sure enough that knife feels like it's from another planet compared to what I was using. I am working on my cutting skills and have got some stones for sharpening. So far it's been a lot of fun, caring for a carbon knife is not as complicated or even time consuming as I thought initially. I still have a lot to learn in terms of sharpening, but that will come with practice. I was able to raise a burr (felt pretty much like what was described).

So where does that leave us? With a lot more questions:
Where does sakai yusuke stand in this forum?
Where should I go from here, ie should I try other knife styles, other makers, etc...
The thing is, I went through part of the 'Show your newest knife buy' topic and couldn't stop drooling. Bad sign, I am already itching to try a new knife. :knife:

Welcome! You're in good company here, we all have the same sickness.

Oops! Hit submit lol.

I don't know much about the knife you bought...but I can tell already you'll be buying many other knives lol...both styles, and makers. Its a pretty deep pool you've jumped feet first into :D. If you want to be perma-broke...keep an eye on the BST section. So far I've restrained myself (mostly because I'm already broke!)...but its only a matter of time!

Welcome. You did good, kid (Says the 29 year old). Sakai Yusuke are really nice knives.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Oops! Hit submit lol.If you want to be perma-broke...keep an eye on the BST section. So far I've restrained myself (mostly because I'm already broke!)...but its only a matter of time!

Just went there, it truly is a dangerous place! lol
Still have to learn what is what, but I get the feeling that it won't take long :)

Good to know that I started off with a good knife, thanks lefty!

Speaking of other styles, I am thinking a good next step might be a deba as it should be able to handle all the abuse that I wouldn't want to put my gyuto through. As in splitting bones, etc...
I am also interested in trying out an usuba, quite curious to see how thins the cuts can get
Of course there are tons more styles to go from there, I checked out the glossary at zknives and found a tremendous variety!

Getting other gyutos as well is a given :laugh:

Any thoughts/advice?

Speaking of other styles, I am thinking a good next step might be a deba as it should be able to handle all the abuse that I wouldn't want to put my gyuto through. As in splitting bones, etc...
I am also interested in trying out an usuba, quite curious to see how thins the cuts can get

Any thoughts/advice?
Deba should not be used for splitting bones or other such rough tasks, it is a knife designed specifically for breaking down fish, though some people may use deba for other tasks.
Usuba may be an okay first single bevel knife, though I suggest being comfortable with sharpening before getting into single-bevel stuff. Check out the Japanese Knife Society videos for to see some single-bevel knives being used properly. These knives are a lot of fun to use, though.

Deba should not be used for splitting bones or other such rough tasks, it is a knife designed specifically for breaking down fish, though some people may use deba for other tasks.
Usuba may be an okay first single bevel knife, though I suggest being comfortable with sharpening before getting into single-bevel stuff. Check out the Japanese Knife Society videos for to see some single-bevel knives being used properly. These knives are a lot of fun to use, though.

Thanks for sharing this video resource, I was looking for something explaining clearly the techniques. Going though them tonight :)
I would have thought that sharpening single bevel knives would be easier, what makes it more complicated?

Maybe check out a CCK 1303 Chinese cleaver. Super fun and inexpensive. You can try out a new knife type while poking around and learning more.

At their price point, definitely worth testing, I'll look for it here, I am currently living in the UK

You could find the answers to most of your questions (regarding knives, at least) in this forum and at the same time create a long list of knives you barely can't live without. So in a sence this is the place to be - and to stay away from :)
Welcome to the coolest forum on the internet :)

Where should I go from here, ie should I try other knife styles, other makers, etc...
The thing is, I went through part of the 'Show your newest knife buy' topic and couldn't stop drooling. Bad sign, I am already itching to try a new knife. :knife:

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but in my case, I kept changing up the steel type, knife profile, manufacturing technique, knife type and so forth whenever I made new purchases, so I got a good feel for the different elements to consider, that way. There's no replacement for hands-on experience! Next on my list is trying out a mono-steel 270mm wa-gyuto, as my two current gyutos are a VG-10 Warikomi Awase style, and a kuroichi San Mai clad Aogami #1. Currently on the fence about whether to jump on the Konosuke boat, haha!

Welcome! You're in the right place....unless you care about your wallet :)

Ha ha, I'm in same boat as you, lurking the forum make us want to try every knife.
welcome to the obsession

Latest posts

Back