What have you been doing lately that is not Knife related?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^or read Michael Pollan, his books should be at the thrift store everywhere by now ;-)
think it's 'title is 'in defense of food'

basic idea is eating as little processed food as possible (believe he describes it like 'food your granny would not recognize').
Oh man, the description of the book reads as if the author is looking over my shoulder while I eat....I absolutely have to get this!

I was looking at the other threads and didn't see one about other areas of interest. There are some threads of audio, or tennis or drinking.
But this is just for what have you been doing lately? It may be a mix of things.

For me I like long drives in the country and listening to audiobooks.

What about you? What have you been doing lately?

for me it has basically been trying to recover from some type of long corona **** for the last 1-1,5 years or so.

i'm out riding my bikes. i currently have 4 bikes. 1 chromag sakura, a lynskey ti cyclocross, a de rosa nuovo classico lugged brazed one and then finally a colnago master also lugged brazed one. (/edit: can't spell lynskey apparantly)

then i try to restore some razors once a week. or so. its mostly hand sanding stuff. fixing geometries etc.

listening to audio books.

i've made some DE razor handles at work when we have nothing to do.

testing different shaving brushes, DE razors, soaps. yeah its fun trying these out.

thinking about starting to make some music again with my modular synths.

allinall i'm quite happy to simply be alive. and my health is going upward, not downward!

Last edited:
Started shooting pool after a 40 yr hiatus. Had to wait 2 yrs for a local pool hall to finally open up. Four month order time for a McDermott. Anyone know anything about the carbon composite pool shafts?
I use a 12.9 or whatever Revo. Pretty nice. Took me a while to get used to the minimal deflection and squirt. Played with a Jensen, Nitti and then a Bender for years each. But how everyone here buys knives constantly, I used to buy and sell cues constantly. Still have about ten that I can’t or won’t sell. But play less than twice a year now.

I make knives now, and actually haven’t bought a kitchen knife (was a Wustof set) in about ten years.

I also kayak and paddle board pretty often.

And of course travel as much as possible. Finally going back to Europe after getting kicked out basically in March of 2020.

This book used. Didn't even follow his meal plan. View attachment 184882

The other book was even more radical fasting etc.

Got ideas from both books. Was pleased when found my cholesterol down too when looked up 20 cholesterol lowering foods, I was already using all of them Eggs used to get bad rap. My morning smoothe has frozen dark berries, half frozen banana, frozen mango, spirulina, flax meal, chia seeds, vegetable protein powder, almond milk.

Cutting out all kinds of chips that I loved for snacks made big difference. Make things from scratch like salad dressing & humus.
We eat salads every day. Eat eggs couple times a week.

I was repairing old termite damage on roof beams with wood Bondo, blocked the ladder on steps so stable did repair fine when cleaning up tripped on step hand went into blocked stable ladder broke bone in my hand. Started rehab with gripping plastic substance doctor gave me. My hand still not 100% the power bands and plastic hand grippers helped get my hands strong again.
The book has been ordered, thanks again for the tip.

^or read Michael Pollan, his books should be at the thrift store everywhere by now ;-)

basic idea is eating as little processed food as possible (believe he describes it like 'food your granny would not recognize').
The book has been ordered, thanks again for the tip.

I read the first part of the book, the book is really well written.

I already take most of them to heart, but the 64 rules and the thoughts behind them are really helpful and amusingly written. The book is a really good tip!

I use a 12.9 or whatever Revo. Pretty nice. Took me a while to get used to the minimal deflection and squirt. Played with a Jensen, Nitti and then a Bender for years each. But how everyone here buys knives constantly, I used to buy and sell cues constantly. Still have about ten that I can’t or won’t sell. But play less than twice a year now.

I make knives now, and actually haven’t bought a kitchen knife (was a Wustof set) in about ten years.

I also kayak and paddle board pretty often.

And of course travel as much as possible. Finally going back to Europe after getting kicked out basically in March of 2020.

Ten cues! Wow, you were a fanatic! Received the McDermott after a couple of weeks. They must have had it in stock. It's pretty nice with the inlay and wrap. A little too fancy. Interested in trying the composite shafts. Things have changed in 40 years!

I have a collection of Wustofs, Henckels, Sabbatier, Dick, Forchner, Dexter-Russell, way too many. I've collected a few of the Japanese knives. I started with Shun. Since then I've picked up a few of the hand-made japanese knives made of the blue steel #2. I like the Damascus type, but had to cut it all off.

I've managed to travel and see a lot of Europe, a little of Greece and Turkey. More recently I've been seeing S. and S.E. Asia. I have my sights on Raja Amphat , Indonesia next.

Good luck in your travels!

Haha no covers worn.. haha

Thanks bud i really needed this in my life and waited 39 years for this moment, she is my everything. Kulmbach will have another cutie running around but this one will know how to get on with a sharp knife. Boys beware 🤣
I had my first at 39 too, best of luck, she's beautiful!

Work work work, spending time qorh my daughter and playing elden ring. And adding a few knives to the collection. Hehe

Back