What I am working on

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 blades in the tempering oven now. They are 3 more 240mm gyuto blades. they get 2 hours tonight and a slow cool, and another 1 hour temper in the morning. I spent most of the day heat treating those 3 blades, but not all of it. The stainless billet I had fused for moribashi got some more work today. In fact I misjudged the size a bit, it wound up a bit thinner than I had planned on the thick end. I am still palnning to make moribashi out of it, but I will fuse another billet or 2 and work them out as well. while those blades are tempering in the morning I'll cut up some AEB-L and start some new billets. Most of tomorrow will be taken up grinding those blades. I will be happy if those blades are ready for handles at the end of the day tomorrow, although I may wind up doing the hand-finishing friday morning. We got 4-5 inches of snow today, heavy wet stuff good for snowballs. I didn't go anywhere today, I just hope the roads are clear tomorrow, I have some stuff to send out. I also have to pick up supplies for dinner, once the wife figures out what to have for dinner. I'll have to cook dinner tomorrow night as well.

Well I finally finished those 3 gyutos, I got the handles glued up last night and earlier today I finished the handles. I came in for dinner and then went back out to etch the blades. It took quite awhile, but at this stage I am very careful. A small mistake at this stage can ruin all the work I already put into it. I finished them and spent a little time cleaning my shop. Its not a job that I relish, and there is more to be done. I'll post some pics tomorrow, I need to clean off my bench to get my light tent up so I can get some good pics. Along with the 3 gyutos I got a start on my first sujihiki, a 240mm. I know you guys like longer ones, but thats the size stock I had on hand. I'll post some pics of that one when I get it finished as well. The time change is coming up in an hour and I'm tired, time to go to bed.

Back