What I Have Been Up To Lately

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marko, are you forging your own blades and damascus yet

Not yet.

The power hammer and some other equipment should be US inbound within a month, then 5-6 weeks in transit, but it will take me 2-3 months to set everything up and to build the remaining forging equipment - 60 ton press and a natural gas forge.

I might make take another trip to the Duke of Damascus this year, and hopefully forge some in his shop so I have some billets.

Earliest estimate for my up- and-running forging shop would be February. (((

Last edited:
are you going to be forging some spicy white?
I will use at least 5 steels in san mai (including spicy white) that I don't use now, for either cost, availability, reactivity or finishing factors. Forging will open a whole lot of possibilities, in san mai construction in particular.

I am also planning to do single beveled knives. Considering buying 36-48" water wheel grinders. Might buy wheels from Norton and build the grinder on premises. In worst case, I have 24" wheel grinder on order that will work with 2x72 belts, and will finish on 36 and 48" platens

Last edited:
I don’t forge in my shop yet. Up to this point I have either used forged billets from Devin/JohnThomas, or forged billets myself at his shop.

Back