What is it with wa handle makers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People will always disagree about aesthetics. That's why it is fun. Shape of handle for me is a personal thing. If everyone had identical hands then it would make sense to talk about an ideal shape. I encourage my cooks to hold the knife in their hand before buying. If you can forgive a Harry Potter reference I believe that the wand chooses the wizard. I have big hands like brainsausage and like larger than normal handles.

After re-reading this thread I believe that I must've been in a bad mood when I started it, I sound so crabby. Well I never meant to insult anyone and I'm sorry if that's how I came across. Yes we all have different preferences and that's one of the things that make this world interesting. I'm sure lots of things that I like others don't.

Looking at a knife sale flyer from Yamasho, (one of our vendors).

240 Suisin inox honyaki yanagi w/ standard handle = 300$
240 Suisin inox honyaki yanagi w/ ebony handle = $600

How is that a reasonable upcharge?

IMHO you really need both. You can have a great knife and every time you pick it up you hate the way it feels in the hand because the handle is too wide or too small etc. you will find you won’t be picking up that knife or sell it out right.

+1

Personally I dislike octagon handles and much prefer oval. Since I have small hands, a 5" handle is the perfect length for me and feels much more comfortable. Western ones I'm not sure since they mostly come with the same factory handles as any other western. I do like the fish design (I think that's what it's called?) but it's purely based on the look and not feel as I've never held one.

I am not big on western handles but Randy's HHH in AEB-L is the most comfortable handle ive ever come in contact with

Agree,I have wide hands most Japanese westerns are too small.Randy's with a pinch grip is just right.He also makes some beautiful handles out of exiotic materials.

I also like Stepans longer Wa- Handles.I find his comfortable too.Mine were used at work so no metal pieces or spacers etc.Simple strong handles.

Agree,I have wide hands most Japanese westerns are too small.Randy's with a pinch grip is just right.He also makes some beautiful handles out of exiotic materials.

I also like Stepans longer Wa- Handles.I find his comfortable too.Mine were used at work so no metal pieces or spacers etc.Simple strong handles.

Have you tried new western style by Marko? They a tad big for my small hands but should be super comfortable for anyone with normal/large hands.

I have come to a conclusion that oversize handles are good people with any size hands, as they allow less strain on your hands and a little more substance to hold to as one pinch grips. Knives that one holds by handle (suji, petty, etc), handle size can stay medium.

I have come to a conclusion that oversize handles are good people with any size hands, as they allow less strain on your hands and a little more substance to hold to as one pinch grips. Knives that one holds by handle (suji, petty, etc), handle size can stay medium.

The problem with larger handles is that you're limited to certain grips or forcing people to use certain grips. Using a lighter grip may be better for a pinch grip, but there are other cuts that may require a stronger grip, such as butchering. So, by doing so, you're eliminating the usefulness of a knife for multiple tasks, or reducing the effectiveness of a knife for a particular purpose because of the handle.

This thread may be controversial to some but as a noob I find it very helpful.

I have a set of stainless blades being forged by Takeshi Saji and Hiroom Itou.

The handles will be custom made by members on this forum.

The Saji blades will have Wa handles and the Itou blades will have Western handles.

I'm wondering if anyone sees value in Wa handles on some profiles and Western handles on other profiles?

Off topic a bit but I'm interested in thoughts of others ....

Back