What is this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtlove

Reaction score
I was given this Aantouko by a friend that owns a local restaurant. He didn't know where it came from and neither do I. Anyone know who the manufacturer is?

Attachments

• 20201208_120846.jpg
    20201208_120846.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201208_120909.jpg
    20201208_120909.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201208_120859.jpg
    20201208_120859.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20201208_120846.jpg
    20201208_120846.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 75
The character does look like their logo. I have never had a Shun before and I have not seen that handle pattern on their current lineup. Thanks for the help.

it is a Shun Kaji line. Not a bad knife for a shun. It is SG2 core steel. One of my old chefs swears by his. Even got it tattooed on his forearm.
I like using it although I am coming from 30 years of using German knives. The handle is somewhat familiar. The tip must have been broken at some point and sort of reground. I think my next knife is going to be a Gesshin to see how I will like an oval handle. I have been trying to change up my grip and style. Thanks for the help

I was a Wusthof, Zwilling guy for my whole life too, then I tried a friends J-knife and I was sold. It wasnt even a particularly special J-knife. If you are getting a Gesshin, might I suggest a Kagero. It is powdered metal, stainless, with great hardness and edge retention. It comes in a western or octagonal handle variety.

I was a Wusthof, Zwilling guy for my whole life too, then I tried a friends J-knife and I was sold. It wasnt even a particularly special J-knife. If you are getting a Gesshin, might I suggest a Kagero. It is powdered metal, stainless, with great hardness and edge retention. It comes in a western or octagonal handle variety.
That was what I was looking at. Although I have a couple 10 inch Chef knives, I usually just use the 8 inch. I am the cook at the firehouse but I'm not a professional. It seems most J knives are longer than 8 inch. What do you reccomend in length?

I always tend to look for 240s, though I prefer if they measure out just a bit shorter. The kagero in my bag is a 240, and it measures about spot on. It has never felt like too much knife for me. Honestly, its hard for me to recommend a length for you because it depends on a number of factors, the size of your board, how much cutting you actually do, your grip, your comfort with more knife.

The one thing I can say is that if you buy a knife and end up not liking it, and want to try to sell it on BST, it seems like there is a bigger market for 240s.

That was what I was looking at. Although I have a couple 10 inch Chef knives, I usually just use the 8 inch. I am the cook at the firehouse but I'm not a professional. It seems most J knives are longer than 8 inch. What do you reccomend in length?

There is no shortage of Japanese knives in the 8"/210 length. The biggest thing to be aware of is that certain regions will measure from the handle to the tip as opposed to along the edge, so a 210 will actually be around 200. Conversely, there is some areas that make knives that will run slightly longer.

it is a Shun Kaji line. Not a bad knife for a shun. It is SG2 core steel. One of my old chefs swears by his. Even got it tattooed on his forearm.
Must have really loved his Shun to get a tattoo! There should be some Shig tattoos everywhere around here 😁

Back