What kind of oil do you use?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading more seems to be Japan version of rapeseed oil. Yellow flower plant golden cold pressed oil.

the entire country of Thailand would kill a peanut allergy sufferer..that sucks.
That's how America use to weed out the week. Now we have this weird obsession with lengthening the life spans of the sickly.

It would be interesting to know how many Thai's die each year from peanut allergies. Seems like everyone in the US has endless allergies these days.
Only people in developed western countries develop silly allergies to peanuts and eggs. We think we are so smart with our vaccines, pesticides, and antibiotics, yet it is such a mystery that we are slowly losing our ability to eat the very food we grow. It's all part of Agenda 21

Actually peanuts aren't native to Europe, so it's not that weird if western populations have a higher degree of intolerance to them. And not all allergies are more prevalent in western poulations. For example lactose intolerance is far more common in parts of Asia where there's less of a milk-drinking tradition.

Half of the things you eat aren't native to most people. Lactose intolerance is not necessarily an allergy as you can't die from an episode of intolerance.

On a serious note, the real reason people have so many allergies is that we forgot how to prepare foods. We roast peanuts instead of boiling them. We don't deseed and deskin tomatoes, and non-nixtamalized corn is shoved into everything you eat from chicken and beef to cereal. Not to mention antibiotics destroys the very helpful bacteria you need to break down and absorb.

Someone mentioned clarified butter earlier in the thread. It's been a while since I used that, but I made a batch the other night to cook some fresh Halibut steaks in a hot cast iron pan. Served it with some leftover homemade orange sauce from a Chinese meal earlier in the week, and it was dee-licious!

Normally I'd do that in peanut oil and toss in a pat of butter at the end for a flavor kick, but I think this is a go-to method now. At least when I have time to make it, and keep a batch on hand. I forgot how hot you can get clarified butter in a pan.

@Chef doom they are nowadays considering Pad Thai an unhealthy food in the west ... has protein (tofu, shrimp, peanuts), veg (garlic chives, lime, radish, beansprouts), and ... well... calories from starch and oil and sugar ... that only sounds unhealthy for very lazy days :)

If I run out of peanut oil, I consider not even getting up unless I feel like going to buy some :) So versatile - the stuff isn't icky raw but takes thermal abuse like nobody's business (hard to burn, and if you do, it doesn't taste or smell up the place like a dumpster fire).

Coconut oil (both refined and unrefined), mostly if something saturated/room-solid is needed, and for tadka.

Alsan (a german margarine) as a baking fat - the stuff is just great for that.

Toasted sesame, chili-infused (chinese style), mustard, olive each for their intended purpose.

Everything else I can usually deal with running out of :)

Back