What kind of weird things / combos do you eat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. I think most of these weird tastes arise from childhood curiosity and not knowing better...

They way that I look at it, kids don't know that they're SUPPOSED to know better. They often have a truer sense of taste because they are free of rules and preconceptions / expectations . And since EVERYTHING is new / an experiment one thing is not weird than another. So, they end up discovering things that people "who know better" (aka have had their creativity and sense of wonder ground away) would never consider.

On another side note, I have found that weird and intelligent people (like 99% of the people on KKF) are often into lots of different kinds of weird and interesting things. In other words: one particular geeky obsession like kitchen knives is often an indicator of a much broader pattern of a geeky/nonraditional approach to many other things.
So, the popularity of this thread is not at all shocking.

Now, back OT:
I don't get excited over / eat fast food except for the occasionally fix of salted wendy's fries dipped in chocolate frosty.

I am also a huge consumer of "one bowl meals. " I like fresh greens, tomato and egg mixed with pretty much any more typical dinner entrée.

I really like vinegar on things, but true aged balsamic drizzled over vanilla bean icecream is pretty awesome.

+ 1 for beer floats.
I like stout with a shot of chilled espresso and a scoop or two of good vanilla or chocolate icecream.

Speaking of icecream, Karing (Drinky) made some sourcream strawberry icecream that was really amazing. He also made a chicken dumpling soup with an accidental raspberry vinegar tint that was oddly very good (kinda like turkey and cranberry combo).

They way that I look at it, kids don't know that they're SUPPOSED to know better. They often have a truer sense of taste because they are free of rules and preconceptions / expectations . And since EVERYTHING is new / an experiment one thing is not weird than another. So, they end up discovering things that people "who know better" (aka have had their creativity and sense of wonder ground away) would never consider.

So true. I used to love cottage cheese as a little boy up until around first grade when my older sister said "EWWWWWW" as I enjoyed my afternoon snack. Ever since then, it was ruined for me. To this day I can't imagine eating it, but that wasn't always so... Had Katie kept her mouth shut, who knows. ;)

On another side note, I have found that weird and intelligent people (like 99% of the people on KKF) are often into lots of different kinds of weird and interesting things. In other words: one particular geeky obsession like kitchen knives is often an indicator of a much broader pattern of a geeky/nonraditional approach to many other things.

I have noticed this too. And not just "into" weird and interesting things, but passionately into them. Photography seems to be a common hobby here in addition to knives (and cooking of course).

So, the popularity of this thread is not at all shocking.

Now, back OT:
I don't get excited over / eat fast food except for the occasionally fix of salted wendy's fries dipped in chocolate frosty.

I am also a huge consumer of "one bowl meals. " I like fresh greens, tomato and egg mixed with pretty much any more typical dinner entrée.

I really like vinegar on things, but true aged balsamic drizzled over vanilla bean icecream is pretty awesome.

+ 1 for beer floats.
I like stout with a shot of chilled espresso and a scoop or two of good vanilla or chocolate icecream.

Good observation about weird,intelligent people being into a broad variety of weird things. My interests are so vast and odd that I lose track of all of the projects and things I have gotten into. We have a large group of people obsessed with kitchen knives, it is likely that most are also obsessed with food and food experimentation.

Average people seem to think everything I eat is weird, but chef-types/hardcore-eaters would probably not see these things as odd. The balsamic vinegar on vanilla ice cream is something I do; greens, tomato, egg plus whatever leftovers I find is typical late-night dinner for me; I will not eat fast-food which most can't seem to begin to understand. I guess I need to try a beer float. I will eat fish heads including the eyes. I ate a sauerkraut-donut in Austria, that was surprisingly good. There really isn't much that I won't eat other than processed food, so I can't think of "weird" things that I eat.

I do this all the time too.

Big bowl of leftover white rice from Chinese takeout with soy sauce = delicious.

Add a fried egg on there and that's been a lot of my meals. Some fried spam would make it even better, though if I have spam there (not often), I swap the soy sauce with ketchup.

Cottage cheese + Frank's hot sauce!!!

I never even tried cottage cheese until I was an adult...just not something we ever had at home. I love it...I put it on toast or eat it straight out of the container with tabasco sauce.

Never had cottage cheese spicy. I've had it with peaches, an idea I got from watching The Osbournes(Ozzy loves it!).

My daughter likes raisins and spaghetti. I will make that a great pasta dish, just need a little experimental time.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. Else i wouldn't be reading this thread searching for odd combos that are not easy for me to come across!

This is one of the reasons I love fusion food (I know... I know...) but only when it is done exceptionally well. Sometimes to me (eater not chef), fusion is an excuse for crap. Of course it tastes different, its fusion! It doesn't taste different, it tastes like Sh!t. But when fusion is done really well, i get a fleeting sense of childhoood when I eat it, like discovering a new food for the first time. That sense is precious.

Regardless of the price.

And yeah, I love forums due to the diversity of geekiness that arises. Typically if people are obsessive compulsive about obscure and relatively unimportant things like sharpening (ahem.), they have tons of outlets that make them that much more interesting than the average joe.

I like balsamic with ice cream, kahlua, baileys, sangria, heck, most liquors with ice cream.

I don't know if you guys get Milo from Nestle over in the US of A, but I throw that malted choc powder on tons of dessert items when I'm bored.

I also used to eat plain white rice with soy sauce on it. Just like 2 cups worth, in a bowl, I'd sit down and watch 3rd Rock From the Sun. Not that weird, but I've never seen anyone else just whip up a snack of white rice and soy sauce.

I use to eat this in my bachelor days. I also use to eat the 10 cent ramen noodles raw straight out of the package.

I also use to eat the 10 cent ramen noodles raw straight out of the package.
This was the "trendy" thing to do when I was in elementary school! if I recall correctly some kids even had noodle packages meant to be eaten that way...but this doesn't sound right, so maybe I am wrong and thats just what kids told me (I was a gullible kid). I remember my mom thinking I was crazy when i asked her to buy the noodles that I could eat raw. I think they had the cookie monster on the package...

When I was a kid we ate Lucas, a lime flavored salt, like the stuff that gets put on Beer necks for ladyfolk on Cinco De Mayo.

Also, in South Texas, it's all about ChileSalLimon! Just like what it says--salt, lime and chile, in sprinklable powder. Gets put on Fruit cups, and fresh roasted corn with butter.

Vegemite and truffle oil on sourdough.

I'm not sure of there is an equivalent yeast extract in the US... But for the English, it works just as well with marmite.

When I was a kid we ate Lucas, a lime flavored salt, like the stuff that gets put on Beer necks for ladyfolk on Cinco De Mayo.

Also, in South Texas, it's all about ChileSalLimon! Just like what it says--salt, lime and chile, in sprinklable powder. Gets put on Fruit cups, and fresh roasted corn with butter.

I grew up in ft worth. Have consumed my fair share of Lucas!

Mayo & Thai Sweet Chili sauce. I used to use it for a dipping sauce for chicken fingers. It's an interesting taste.

I'm not sure of there is an equivalent yeast extract in the US... But for the English, it works just as well with marmite.

We have marmite. Delicious stuff!

My wife likes to dip grapes into Nutella. Red Grapes.

My wife always wanted saladitos during her pregnancies. Have to watch out for Mexican chile powder had my fair share of that and Mexican candy. Especially the multicolored pops growing up, but a lot of that stuff is high in lead.

Grew up with Vegemite. Good stuff, but definitely an acquired taste. My mom was born in Sydney when my grandparents(both doctors) were doing missionary work there.,

Totally normal over here in good old blighty but whenever we've been to the US and asked for a cup of tea with milk in we've had to explain ourselves and more often than not gotten funny looks from restaurant staff lol.

Now this one for some of you will not be strange but for me it was - smoked dried brown bear. Once tried sea cucumber and some other types of sea "fruits" which my Chinese friends consider a delicacy which almost made me sick.

Now this one for some of you will not be strange but for me it was - smoked dried brown bear. Once tried sea cucumber and some other types of sea "fruits" which my Chinese friends consider a delicacy which almost made me sick.

I totally wish I could taste bear without, you know, killing off a bear. Aren't bears pretty fragile populations?

Chinese people do eat some weird stuff. I worked with a guy from Burma that said when he was a kid, since he lived on the border, they would go into the jungle and catch random animals and sell them to Chinese traders, and they ate EVERYTHING. That guy(the Burmese one) had eaten tiger, elephant, chameleons, parrots, monkeys, dogs...I couldn't come up with an animal the dude hadn't eaten for about a solid minute.

I totally wish I could taste bear without, you know, killing off a bear. Aren't bears pretty fragile populations?

Chinese people do eat some weird stuff. I worked with a guy from Burma that said when he was a kid, since he lived on the border, they would go into the jungle and catch random animals and sell them to Chinese traders, and they ate EVERYTHING. That guy(the Burmese one) had eaten tiger, elephant, chameleons, parrots, monkeys, dogs...I couldn't come up with an animal the dude hadn't eaten for about a solid minute.

Black bears have a pretty stable and large population, there's something like a million of them in North America. Brown bears are pretty stable too, with about 200k in the world, about a quarter of them in North America. Polar bears are vulnerable and in decline, but there are still quite a few of them out there. The worry there isn't so much that they're currently endangered as it that they're in decline and the reasons for that.

That's not to say that all the various sub-species are doing well. I know Italian bears are in serious trouble, for example. But if all you want is to try some bear meat, there's plenty of sources you can try without feeling bad.

My wife likes peanut butter and mustard sandwiches, which I think is weird. I have cottage cheese and pineapple, which she thinks is weird. One that is lees weird is creamed corn on mashed potatoes, which I started after my dad had his first heart attack, because we didn't have gravy or butter for awhile after that. She also likes mustard on her eggs.
Del

I once ate mustard on a dare, and realized I just like mustard.

I guess that makes me a bustard, I only eat custard with sauce made of mustard.

This was the "trendy" thing to do when I was in elementary school! if I recall correctly some kids even had noodle packages meant to be eaten that way...but this doesn't sound right, so maybe I am wrong and thats just what kids told me (I was a gullible kid). I remember my mom thinking I was crazy when i asked her to buy the noodles that I could eat raw. I think they had the cookie monster on the package...

Nah you're not a gullible kid. Or at least, your pals were straight up with you. The snack you were being fed is the Mamee noodle snack - a malaysian company. The dried ramen noodle snacks were meant to be eaten right out of the pack, with little flavoring sachets just like a typical instant noodle package.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamee_Noodles

That's the link, with a picture in the bottom right corner. From this influence we've eaten pretty much almost any ramen noodle whilst camping straight out of the bag without cooking when it rained. The noodles were all deep fried before processing at the time anyway. Its been more than a decade since I've had that snack though.

Brown bear is supposed to taste better but obviously black bear is eaten more often in North America. i have a sneaking suspicion that polar bear might taste like dirt as its diet consists mostly of other nasty tasting meat. LOL. I can tell you from personal experience from when I was a wee lad that marine mammal meat tastes like refried feces and shudder to think what a bear feeding on such critters might taste like.
Black bears have a pretty stable and large population, there's something like a million of them in North America. Brown bears are pretty stable too, with about 200k in the world, about a quarter of them in North America. Polar bears are vulnerable and in decline, but there are still quite a few of them out there. The worry there isn't so much that they're currently endangered as it that they're in decline and the reasons for that.

That's not to say that all the various sub-species are doing well. I know Italian bears are in serious trouble, for example. But if all you want is to try some bear meat, there's plenty of sources you can try without feeling bad.

Back