What knife do you like the best?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memorael

Reaction score
Which knife do you find you like the best based solemnly on the way it feels when cutting? please describe.

The Kuwabara White #2 210mm gyuto. Much thicker than any knife I own and cuts better than pretty much all of them.

The Kuwabara White #2 210mm gyuto. Much thicker than any knife I own and cuts better than pretty much all of them.
Can you post a pic? I have never seen or heard of them before.

Readily available? Yoshi SKD. 2nd place: Yoshi Stainless clad white. Wat blue KU is right up there as well.

Not so available? Devin aebl, Tillman Leder, Marko 52100, Harbeer Zwear, Haburn 52100, Martell 52100, and I'm just getting started. And no, they're not in any particular order.

It's not the steel, it's the maker.

Edit: How did I forget the old style Gengetsu? Absolute favorite in the "was a production knife" category.

Last edited:
My Watanabe is my most effortless cutter and a nice weight. Behind that, Shihan feel really good in the hand.

Readily available? Yoshi SKD. 2nd place: Yoshi Stainless clad white. Wat blue KU is right up there as well.

Not so available? Devin aebl, Tillman Leder, Marko 52100, Harbeer Zwear, Haburn 52100, Martell 52100, and I'm just getting started. And no, they're not in any particular order.

It's not the steel, it's the maker.
How's the SKD steel? I have never used it, hear its a real beast.

The maker, and the sharpness. Usually the knife I sharpened most recently feels best. Also depends a lot on what you are cutting. If I would have to guess what I like best overall, it could still be the TF Denka.
Knives that you sharpen very often develop a certain, I don't know what, that makes them hard to beat.

How's the SKD steel? I have never used it, hear its a real beast.
Also my personal favorite if I go Semi or full stainless. Very good Edge retention and sharpens easily, pretty much stainless with little maintenance.

Yoshikane SKD, Takamura Chromax, Konosuke YS( Jusy my guess) are using those steels

Also my personal favorite if I go Semi or full stainless. Very good Edge retention and sharpens easily, pretty much stainless with little maintenance.

Yoshikane SKD, Takamura Chromax, Konosuke YS( Jusy my guess) are using those steels
Heiji semi-stainless is SKD, too. I like both SKD and ginsan a lot, but there's also bad examples so again, the maker is most important. Haven't used a Yoshikane SKD or SLD yet...

Last edited:
Heiji semi-stainless is SKD, too. I like both SKD and ginsan a lot, but there's also bad examples so again, the maker is most important. Haven't used a Yoshikane SKD or SLD yet...
O man, I used to own a Heiji semi, thing was brittle. But I did love that knife.

Light weight: Takamura chromax
Lighter mid-weight: Yoshikane skd/sld, konosuke FM
Heavier mid-weight: Watanabe ss-clad blue 2
Heavy weight: Toyama dammy blue 2, Kato WH, 2019 Yoshihiro Mazaki
Super heavy weight (270 gram+ for a 240): none yet

I mostly use my Toyama and Kato these days. Occasionally pick up my Yoshi and Takamura. Many others knives are not being used unfortunately.

My favorite is probably my petty in 1095 from Don Carlos Andrade. It's just such a joy to use, feels great in the hand, and looks gorgeous.

My favorite real size knife is my Kippington fishhook in 52100. The performance is outstanding and it is attention to detail is excellent.

Konosuke FT, because, is very light and nimble good for professional kitchen, tip is amazing, gets crazy sharp and the thinness helps heaps going through everything.

A Global G-2 out of familiarity and I could not kill it despite the contempt/decades of abuse. Another Tony seemed to like it as well (may he rest in peace). I'm very open to upgrade suggestions, but the spot on heel balance point, among other things, already ruled out 99% "better" knives out there. Sharpening it otoh... dear me, this love hate relationship hurts so bad 🤦‍♂️

Tie between Artisan 210mm SRS-15 PM steel Gyuto with my custom handle and the Kochi 210 K-Tip Gyuto that I recently received from BST. I'm a home cook so 210 is perfect.

Artisan has a very nice taper for a western knife, thin tip, nice profile. The handle is slim, but doesn't bother me and the western style just feels more responsive than a Wa for some reason. The edge isn't the thinnest, but I guess the grind helps separate food because I really love the way it cuts despite looking like a poor grind. Just seems to melt through whatever I use it on and I love picking it up. Gets super sharp too, and holds it!

Kochi was a new acquisition this year that I have lusted over for a couple years. It is thin behind the edge, decent taper from the heel, and seems to be very calm in reactivity for an iron clad knife. So works like a mono-steel wide bevel with paper thin tip and my favorite K-tip profile. Instant favorite after it went through it's first onion.

Next on the wish list, Yoshi SKD hammer finish. They have risen significantly in price in the last year or two.

Toyama Gyuto 210mm stainless clad and Kippington 220mm 52100 gyuto.

Toyama 270 gyuto stainless clad, the weight matches so well with its thin edge and the convexity. Pretty perfect balance in my use.

Otherwise it’s my 240 TF Hisamoto, it’s probably my favourite profile, also having worked on it enough so that the grind is right where I want it.

Takada no Hamono 210 Tanaka suiboto for everything except flesh, then the Denka comes out.

When bored and need variety, Wat 180 Nakiri

Probably my custom by @Isasmedjan. Konosuke YS-M is a damn sharp knife as well, but there's something about the aestetics thats not quite my style. I am growing really fond of my new Y. Tanaka as well.

Back