What knife would you recommend (questionnaire)?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you describe the Tanaka ginsan profile for me? I owned the Tanaka KU blue gyuto and felt it had too much curvature, I'm wondering if the ginsan Tanaka is the same or flatter.

I've owned the 240 VG10 and the ginsan migaki is flatter. The VG10 had a more curved edge profile with no flat spot. The ginsan migaki has a little bit pointier and lower tip and there's some flat spot at the heel (about 6cm). After the flat spot it's got a gentle continues curve to the tip (which is 2cm of the cutting board).

I know you like your Wakui kasumi so I compared them. My Wakui has an 8cm flat spot and the tip is 1.9cm from the board. I was actually really surprised how similar the edge profile is. The curve from the flat spot to the tip is almost identical. The blade profile is different though. The Tanaka is pointier and 2mm shorter in length and the handle is just very very gently angled differently.

I hadn't noticed the similarities because the blade profiles look nothing alike and in practice the differences can be felt more then the similarities. If somebody would have tried to convince me that the edge profiles are so close, I wouldn't have believed that because the Wakui feels flatter in use.

I'll try to take a picture of the profile tomorrow.

Mine (early Tanaka G) has a little belly, enough to rock/mince herbs. Not enough to comfortably rock prep. Not that I would do such a thing....

First picture shows the flat spot, curvature and the tip hight.

In the second picture the bottom profile is The Tanaka, the middle profile is the Wakui kasumi SS clad W2 and at the top are both profiles with the inner line being the Tanaka. Like I said earlier the blade profile is very different, but the edge profile is very close.

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Somewhere this thread got de-railed.

Australians get shigs, right?

Back