What knives should i buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Will be cutting mainly a lot of veggies (carrots,tomatoes,potatoes, etc) fruits such as oranges, apples, and poultry along with seafood. absolutely no beef or pork.

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese looks more appealing to me, but either will work.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? for my main knife 8 inches, for others would like suggestions

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? need a couple of knives money isn't problem but I'm also a "home" chef these will absolutely not be used professionally at all.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) stated above veggies, poultry and seafood

What knife, if any, are you replacing? none first set

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) draw,push cut, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

something easy to sharpen seeing as I've never sharpened a knife before will be learning, patterns don't matter i need something that will work and will stay with me for a long time.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) right now bamboo but looking for a better board suggestions?

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) no

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Looking for a couple knives that can be used just about daily, i mainly cut chicken and veggies no steaks. would love to hear suggestions for cutting board, sharpening tools, and anything else you could think of. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'm not looking for anything cheap.

The term "break the bank" might mean pretty different things for different people, so I'd suggest you be more specific.

You can accomplish so many tasks with a good gyuto, so you can concentrate your budget there. A petty (150mmish) would make a nice complement.

Are you willing to give a carbon knife the timely care (wiping) that it needs?

You can look at adding a slicer, bread knife, and paring knife later, if those are types you want.

You are going to get different recommendations depending on whether your max budget for each knife is 100 or 200 or something else.

Minimum recommendations beyond that would be a combination waterstone and an edge grain board. If you want to put more into those, you could get medium and fine stones (1000/1200ish and something in the 4K-6K range) and an end grain board. I'd recommend getting the biggest board you can have in your prep area. Prep is a much more pleasant task when you're not limited by your board size.

Do you want to buy these knives and be done with it, or are you interested in taking some time to try different knives until you have a better idea of what you want (and don't want)? Buying a good condition used knife, such as on Buy/Sell/Trade here gives you options, and if you don't like something, you could likely sell it for close to the price paid, and then try something else.

End grain cutting boards are considered best, but any wooden one will be OK too. Bamboo is supected of wearing down the edge quicker than "normal" wood. For sharpening and thinning you need a coarse stone (200-400 grit) and a medium stone (800-1500 grit) for European knives. For Japanese knives with better steel an additional fine stone (3000-5000 grit) makes sense. Naniwa Super stones have a good reputation.

IMHO the only knive that is reall worth spending money on is your chef's knive, your parer, bread knife and petty can be cheaper stuff as they don't get used nearly as often. I like the small cheap Victorinox parers for just a few dollars, anything "better", i.e. more expensive, is usually much heavier too, I wouldn't like that.

For my main knife (chefs knife) i would be willing to spend about $400 on i think thats expensive but again its something i plan on having and caring for. As far as caring for a knife whatever needs to be done to prolong its life I'm willing to do, its just a matter of knowing what to do if I'm pointed to the right places how to sharpen, clean etc of course id be willing to do it.

The term "break the bank" might mean pretty different things for different people, so I'd suggest you be more specific.

You can accomplish so many tasks with a good gyuto, so you can concentrate your budget there. A petty (150mmish) would make a nice complement.

Are you willing to give a carbon knife the timely care (wiping) that it needs?

You can look at adding a slicer, bread knife, and paring knife later, if those are types you want.

You are going to get different recommendations depending on whether your max budget for each knife is 100 or 200 or something else.

Minimum recommendations beyond that would be a combination waterstone and an edge grain board. If you want to put more into those, you could get medium and fine stones (1000/1200ish and something in the 4K-6K range) and an end grain board. I'd recommend getting the biggest board you can have in your prep area. Prep is a much more pleasant task when you're not limited by your board size.

Do you want to buy these knives and be done with it, or are you interested in taking some time to try different knives until you have a better idea of what you want (and don't want)? Buying a good condition used knife, such as on Buy/Sell/Trade here gives you options, and if you don't like something, you could likely sell it for close to the price paid, and then try something else.

I would recommend cutting your budget down a little. More expensive knives often demand better technique, and a lot of them require polishing too!

Just looked at mtmwood end grain cutting board would anyone recommend these?

I do not have first hand experience but I heard they are good. If you order one prepare to wait a little between production and shipping it can take some time.

$400 dollars is a nice budget. There are bunch of options there. Few that come to mind
Konosuke HD2 for semi-stainless laser type gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama for Carbon
New Takeda for Carbon clad with Stainless

There are other cheaper options that are not necessary any worse then above.

ok so as far as pettys go I've narrowed it down to 2

Moritaka AS Petty 150mm

Kanehiro Wa-Petty 150mm

any thoughts on either or?

if damascus is a big plus to you,

yoshikane tamamoku @ aframes if not carbon
or shigeki tanaka suminigashi in blue?

ok so as far as pettys go I've narrowed it down to 2

Moritaka AS Petty 150mm

Kanehiro Wa-Petty 150mm

any thoughts on either or?
Are you sure you want to go for the Moritaka? They had serious overgrind problems which weren't adequately addressed by their US retailer, I doubt if it has gone better since.

i actually read that right after i posted the comment definitely will be avoid that!

Are you sure you want to go for the Moritaka? They had serious overgrind problems which weren't adequately addressed by their US retailer, I doubt if it has gone better since.

As a short utility to cut veggies and all around knife would you recommend

Takeda Classic Banno petit 140mm

Or

Takeda stainless clad petit 140mm

The shape of the knives are a little different I'm leaning towards the banno but know the extra care needed would be a little scary but im willing to put up with it.

Latest posts

Back