What knives would you never sell? Forever Keepers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive never come across a knife that i wouldnt sell. ever. im more interested in finding ways to try more knives, and if that means letting go of knives its not a big deal, i dont really like get sentimental over it either.

Everybody has his price.

I'll say "No" to that statement. Only because I'll never be able to own something so valuable that someone would pay an obscene amount of money to acquire it.

Current chopping block includes Shig and KS...but these are keepers:

PC100031_zps6831b61d.jpg

Tilman, Carter, Tanaka I wouldn't part with.

The only knives for me that I would never sell, are those that I would never own. Things might change when I get my hands on some custom made ones.

Almost all of my kit is new now (after selling most of my cleavers and gyutos), but probably the only one that is potentially a keeper is the Sugimoto OMS#6. Not necessarily because it's the best knife I've ever used, but it was something of a unicorn for me; wanted to try one for ages but could never really justify the price. But with the money from selling my other cleavers I figured I'd treat myself and it certainly hasn't disappointed. Plus there aren't any other cleavers on the market that interest me enough at the moment.

Almost all of my kit is new now (after selling most of my cleavers and gyutos), but probably the only one that is potentially a keeper is the Sugimoto OMS#6. Not necessarily because it's the best knife I've ever used, but it was something of a unicorn for me; wanted to try one for ages but could never really justify the price. But with the money from selling my other cleavers I figured I'd treat myself and it certainly hasn't disappointed. Plus there aren't any other cleavers on the market that interest me enough at the moment.

:eek2: :fanning: Congrats Josh!

It would be really awesome to know a bit more about your new cleaver and how you compare it to the standar version.

I would never sell the Mizuno Sweedish steel and the Tadatsuna inox cleavers

Regards

Never is such a long period of time...

You are correct, maybe that time frame is a bit long, and is really confined to my ability to cook. After that, I will pass some on to family and sell the rest (even the ones that I thought I'd never get rid of).

I guess for me I am considering knives that (1) have so much utility right now that I wouldn't think of getting rid of them as I use them all of the time; (2) I would want to possibly pass on to my children; and (3) have some sentimental value.

I would actually put in my keepers the Mr. Tanaka that my wife gave me. It was my first nice knife and it was because of that that I started to learn to sharpen and found these knife forums.

k.

I have no plans to part with my rader, HHH custom-including the one Randy helped me make, and my shig yani. If I get a burke and DT custom they will also be keepers. In fact, I have so many unused knives, I think it is time to have a sale! ER

I've been more interested in picking up knifes to try out a maker, a type of steel, or different knife pattern. Often times I've been surprised, knives that were held in high regard by the forum, didn't do much for me. While knives that the forum didn't care about, fit my style.

My collection is like a reference library. I find it interesting to pull out a knife, I haven't used in a while, and see if my opinion has changed? As my sharpening skills have improved, some of the knives have been a revelation in how they perform.

Is there any one knife that I would keep forever? No.

Through trial and error I've found the type of knife that fits my needs, and what features that are valuable to me. If something were to happen to my knives. I know exactly what I'd order, and how it would be customized.

Jay

what cleaver is it chinacats?

11xx series CCK. I rounded the corners for my cutting style and really enjoy it. That and the Zakuri are very inexpensive knives that just work the way they should and feel right in the hand (well actually the Zakuri will be getting some new shoes:)).

Cheers

especially the sujihiki zakuris dont get enough love in my opinion.

I've been more interested in picking up knifes to try out a maker, a type of steel, or different knife pattern. Often times I've been surprised, knives that were held in high regard by the forum, didn't do much for me. While knives that the forum didn't care about, fit my style.

I have done the same thing. I wanted to figure out what I like, so Ive tried W1, AS, AEB-L, O1, VG-10, and 52100. Some I liked more than others, but one thing I have noticed is that you cant really go with steel if the heat treatment hasnt been done correctly. Who cares if you have a AEB-L or a 52100 if it hasnt been done right. Thats what keeps me away from a lot of the new makers out there. I dont feel like spending a premium as they figure their craft out.

Back to the topic...

At the end of the day, I think I would only keep my Takeda. It was my first and has sentimental value but that might change when/if I get a custom.

Watanabe 240 gyuto with mario handle and a recent DT ITK 240.. Have used a fowler 270 suji with custom handle lately and its very nice, comment worthy, not sure about a keeper tho. Love the looks and profile, but geometry didn't work for me.

I am no pro but having tried some nice knives, my never sells are:

Harner and hhh gyuto, Harner nakiri, catcheside petty, Davis suji and, while not a knife, Rodrique straightrazor.

That is of course unless I see something I really want :)

Back