Sous Vide What next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a 2" thick NY strip recently that I really liked, 130* for about 2 hours, finished in hot debuyer. Today I did chicken breasts at 140* and seared the skin in debuyer with a glucose wash. I think I prefer a brine and grilling or sautéing for chicken. Texture was just a little too moist. What next? Big a$$ roast?

Proteins are fun with sous vide, for sure. But the real fun IMO is with vegetables. Lots of interesting textures/flavor infusions that are hard, if not impossible to pull off through 'conventional' means.

Proteins are fun with sous vide, for sure. But the real fun IMO is with vegetables. Lots of interesting textures/flavor infusions that are hard, if not impossible to pull off through 'conventional' means.

Have to agree here, the texture and consistently good veg that can come from sous vide are amazing.

Soft boiled eggs... 173 degrees for 13 minutes, brief chill in ice water until you can handle them, crack and serve

Going to look into veggies for sure. Doing some boneless, skinless chicken breast today for burritos. I think the texture will lend itself well to being mixed with other items like rice and beans. I'm really liking the convenience of the water bath.

Sausages.....1 hour at 63 c let sit for 10 min then brown.

Truffle butter and white miso with diver scallops in a zip baggie 30 min from frozen at 57 c

Oh sausages are the best SV....it is the one thing I refuse to cook any other way (well might use the smoker). Everything else I'm flexible on. Try beer and bratwurst was well...

Mmmmmmmm

Oh sausages are the best SV....it is the one thing I refuse to cook any other way (well might use the smoker). Everything else I'm flexible on. Try beer and bratwurst was well...

Mmmmmmmm

Did a sausage tonight at 150, finished in cast iron... delicious! I always overcook sausages and this came out super juicy.

Not sausage.

What%20it%20should%20look%20like.jpg

Sausage recipe?

Pork shoulder (ground) + your favorite spices+ natural casing

Add some extra fat if you want it juicier. Make a bunch and freeze them in vacuum sealed bags. When I get home I throw a bag in the sous vide.

I had the best pork loin of my life last weekend when I took an overnight brined loin to a 6 hour bath at 135F, then seared in sides after coming out the bath. Drizzled a bit of a bourbon reduction sauce. I've never had pork loin so tender even in restaurants, it was insane. The Anova sous vide is my 2nd best investment in the kitchen after my knives.

I had the best pork loin of my life last weekend when I took an overnight brined loin to a 6 hour bath at 135F, then seared in sides after coming out the bath. Drizzled a bit of a bourbon reduction sauce. I've never had pork loin so tender even in restaurants, it was insane. The Anova sous vide is my 2nd best investment in the kitchen after my knives.

Ok , you talked me in to it.

My girlfriend loves seared scallops but I'm not very good at controlling the temperature so I tend to overcook and render a lot of the moisture out of them. So I tried large scallops in sous vide bath and then a really quick butter sear. They came out perfect and took a lot of the guest work and fear out of the equation. Going to buy another bags of large scallops next time I roll into Costco.

Back