What size block of wood for Wa-Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo.pete

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to crowd source the experts here. What size wood block do you typically choose when making a wood handle?
Thanks,

Pete

I generally look for a piece at least 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 5" to start with, but depending on the handle I have in mind and the quality of the blank (i.e. is it already smooth and square), I'll sometimes use smaller pieces. If you're going to make a very traditional style handle where the main piece extends all the way through the ferrule you'll need a longer blank.

Be well,
Mikey

No problem, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Be well,
Mikey

+1 to what Mikey said. I usually try to stay at 1 1/4" in block width. If I'm using something stabilized I may try to go 1 1/2 square so I can shave an 1/8 off the outside before shaping.
Length will vary depending on the knife and whether or not I'm using different materials for ferrule/end cap/spacer parts.

I mostly make D handles so on occasion I'll also use odd size blocks (not square) or, if making a handle for a smaller knife, use something smaller.

Are there any ground rules when shaping the tang of a knife? I know the question probably seems quite simple, but I was wondering if I needed to have it taper or would the same width tang be ok?

Thanks,

Pete

Are there any ground rules when shaping the tang of a knife? I know the question probably seems quite simple, but I was wondering if I needed to have it taper or would the same width tang be ok?

Thanks,

Pete

Depends on how you're going to mount the handle. If you're going to do a traditional burn on handle the tang needs to be tapered. If you're going to epoxy on the handle a straight tang is fine. I make my handles to accommodate up to a 1/2" tall tang as this is the widest I've see from any of the Japanese makers. The main thing is, if you're doing a glue on handle, the straighter and flatter the tang, the better the fit.

Be well,
Mikey

IMO burn in has lots of limitations, like it is hard to achieve with hardwood, and takes a lot of skill or it is very easy to end up not straight. I like the big hole + glue in idea.

I like mine a little bit bigger....
mb003_zps4a53ed12.jpg

Just goofing.
The most common block size requests I get for kitchen knives.
Minimum dimensions, WA 1&1/8 x 1&1/4 x 5&1/2, Western 1 x 1&1/2 x 5
but there can be lots of variations in size depending on the knife.

Latest posts

Back