What size rivets? I'm trying to repair / rehandle an old sabatier.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to repair / rehandle an old sabatier.

where can I find replacement Rivets for an old Sabatier knife? Or what is the size rivets?

I want to keep it original looking
s-l1600 (40).jpg

They look fine. Go over with sand paper 320 grit and the handle. Clean it up good and oil it up. Leave original handle with some more life in it.

Don't do it. Those are birds-eye rivets, and were only on the earlier three-rivet handles.
They look fine to me too--no cracks, handles sits flush against the ferrule, wood looks good.
Profile looks nice. My suggestion would be to put some time in for a good amount of thinning.

If you do decide to go all the way, installing brass pins instead of rivets is way easier. Epoxy the handle scales and pins to the tang.

But these original rivets look neat!

One Rivet has popped off on the back side. It's not fine. It's not in the picture . Anyway... What size brass rivets should I use? Post link of example if possible.

Just measure the diameter of the rivet heads?
And decide if you want them larger or smaller.
Or check if your local hardware store has a leftover piece that is suitable so that you don't have to buy a full length.

Some guidance here (Without trying to plug my own work 😉):
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/re-scale-a-tf-western-handle.56005/
Note that if you epoxy the scales the rivets are mainly cosmetic so whatever looks good to you will do.

Truly not trying to be an ass, here....but, if you are not capable of measuring the hardware you need to make the repair, maybe you should reconsider doing the repair?
-Mark

Just measure the diameter of the rivet heads?
And decide if you want them larger or smaller.
Or check if your local hardware store has a leftover piece that is suitable so that you don't have to buy a full length.

Some guidance here (Without trying to plug my own work 😉):
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/re-scale-a-tf-western-handle.56005/
Note that if you epoxy the scales the rivets are mainly cosmetic so whatever looks good to you will do.
Do you have any examples online of ppl using epoxy on a riveted Sabatier? And not using rebets or brass pins? I saw a Nogent style Sabatier that was rehandled. Here is an example of pins I don't think look as good because they are smaller and don't match original diameter

Attachments

• sabatier30.jpg
    sabatier30.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
I am neither a knife historian nor an antique restaurator. So I can only comment on a functional approach (what worked for me).
My guess is that the rivet holes in the tang are smaller than the rivet heads, and that if you do not want to enlarge (drill out) the holes in the tang you are limited to such narrow pins. Or make use of corby bolts or cutlery rivets.

I am neither a knife historian nor an antique restaurator. So I can only comment on a functional approach (what worked for me).
My guess is that the rivet holes in the tang are smaller than the rivet heads, and that if you do not want to enlarge (drill out) the holes in the tang you are limited to such narrow pins. Or make use of corby bolts or cutlery rivets.
Although I have background in wood turning/carpentry ..I have never re handled a knife with rivets etc. Can you link me what you think I should use?

Thanks

Do not comment on posts if you have nothing positive to add and no experience to offer.
Sorry, I must have missed your asking for qualifications in your first post.
Please let me know exactly how many knives I should make to satisfy your exceedingly high standards.

Attachments

• 20210817_152117.jpg
    20210817_152117.jpg
    819.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210817_200155.jpg
    20210817_200155.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220303_132823507_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220303_132823507_HDR~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Don't do it. Those are birds-eye rivets, and were only on the earlier three-rivet handles.
They look fine to me too--no cracks, handles sits flush against the ferrule, wood looks good.
Profile looks nice. My suggestion would be to put some time in for a good amount of thinning.
"Bird's eye rivets" thanks for info. Yea these rivets have a large diameter than the ones most ppt use to replace the old sabatier handles with. The Nogent can be done with just epoxy and copy of dimensions I think. Nice example attach

Attachments

• k1062818.jpg
    k1062818.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, I must have missed your asking for qualifications in your first post.
Please let me know exactly how many knives I should make to satisfy your exceedingly high standards.
I like what you did with your kitchen knife and the 2 x 4 board. What steel is it?

Can you show us an image of the reverse of the handle? Is there a rod sticking out from the hole in the handle? If it is what I think it is then you're missing just a washer that was peened under the end of that rod. The repair might be as simple as finding a matching washer and re-peening it into place.

Back