What stone line up are you using these days?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick question in between: I've just started learning how to sharpen things, but I don't think I'm getting the best out of a Naniwa SS 3000/10000 stone. Is it just me or is the mud non existant / is there a trick to it? Another thing: how do you use a chosera 1000 (+the nagura stone) with it optimally?

If you want to work up some mud pick up a mini diamond stone like the Diaface Moonflex Diamond Stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick question in between: I've just started learning how to sharpen things, but I don't think I'm getting the best out of a Naniwa SS 3000/10000 stone. Is it just me or is the mud non existant / is there a trick to it? Another thing: how do you use a chosera 1000 (+the nagura stone) with it optimally?

+1 to the diamond "nagura" Jon has a like to the ones he uses on his website. I think it's the same one.

As for mud, I can't say I've had this problem on the 3k or the 10k. How do you prep your stone? Perhaps, flatten it right before you use it and don't rinse the stone prior to use.

Any opinions on a bester 2k? Looking for something to go beforre a rika with white steel knives

+1 to the diamond "nagura" Jon has a like to the ones he uses on his website. I think it's the same one.

As for mud, I can't say I've had this problem on the 3k or the 10k. How do you prep your stone? Perhaps, flatten it right before you use it and don't rinse the stone prior to use.

Or I didnt understood the question or missed something.
I dont really see point in paying 20 bucks for nagura, my fake cerax for 4 bucks works pretty well. I cannot expect it though to produce me tons of mud on 8k ceramic stone. But what it does is enough

Or I didnt understood the question or missed something.
I dont really see point in paying 20 bucks for nagura, my fake cerax for 4 bucks works pretty well. I cannot expect it though to produce me tons of mud on 8k ceramic stone. But what it does is enough

The side benefit of a diamond nagura is that it will work up some mud. The primary purpose is to smooth out the scratches left by the DMT XXC when flattening the stone.

OK, so thats for those who have to flatten high-gritted SS and so much that its worth using XXC.

Chosera 400 (major repair/thinning only)
Bester 1200
Rika 5k
Gesshin 5000 on the way from Jon

Bestone 500
Bester 1200
SS 1000
SS 5000
Local natural stone about 500-600.
Local natural stone about 800-1000.
Home made balsa strop on Viraró wood.
Home made leather strop on glass.
Home made leather strop on Anchico wood (work in progress).

I need a Suheiro holder from Jon. May be next month.

OK, so thats for those who have to flatten high-gritted SS and so much that its worth using XXC.

Actually, I have a different cheapie diamond nagura that works fine. I use it to grind down the corners and edges of my finishing stones, if I want instant mud.

Hand Sharpening progression:

Ohmura 120
Shapton Glass 500
Shapton Pros, 1k, 2k, 5k (the shaptons really do turn out great results when used together...wish I had the money for a full set)
Homemade strops cut to stone-size made with Tandy leathers on Balsa backs:
Textured leather 3 micron Boron Carbide
Bare Balsa 1 micron SiC
Smooth Leather .5 micron CrO

I deburr on balsa scraps.

Super basic here...

DMT XC for flattening, major repair (I'm on my third tip on the paring knife...)

Bester 700
King Combo 1200/8000
Felt block and pad for deburring
Leather strop with 0.5 micron diamond spray

I'm considering changing it up with a Bester 1200 and something else in the 6k range as my finishing stone... the King combo is pretty small compared to the Bester.

Right now sharpen on the side walk and finish on the curb ! :slaphead: Carborundum side walk, same same. Finish on king 1000.
I have two new stones picked out, trying to decide on the medium stone.:scratchhead:

Right now sharpen on the side walk and finish on the curb ! :slaphead: Carborundum side walk, same same. Finish on king 1000.
I have two new stones picked out, trying to decide on the medium stone.:scratchhead:

Most of the time I start with a Bester 1200, but about a quarter of the time I start with a Rika 5k! You should be able to start from the King and go up from there. What other stones are you looking at?

Nice thread !
Many more begin to use naturals !! Nice :wink:

Here is mine

Atoma 140
Bestone 500
Bester 1000

Nats:
Aoto
Hakka
Atagoyama/Ohira Range suita

Dave you did not post yours !! :mad3:

Most of the time I start with a Bester 1200, but about a quarter of the time I start with a Rika 5k! You should be able to start from the King and go up from there. What other stones are you looking at?
I am looking at a Chosera 400 and a natural finishing. To fill that gap I was pondering the fake aoto and kitayama.
The king is getting too thin and afraid it will break.

My arsenal
-DMT XXC - I just use it for flattening

-Nameless 240/1k stone - actually not bad for the price - cuts nice and fast, decent finish but is dishes quickly and is now badly worn

-Beston 500 - I use it when I have to. Prefer to start with the 800 king stone if I don't need major steel removal. The long soak time keeps me away.

-King 800/4k - After a long time assuming I'd eventually replace the 800, I've accepted that it just works for me; the 4k on the other hand is awful and glazes over much easier than any other stone I've used.

-'Fine' diamond stone - used as a nagura sometimes

-1k SS - Not my favorite SS. Doesn't cut quite fast enough.

-2k SS - For some reason, I like this stone much better. I start a lot of touch ups with this stone

-5k SS - Another great stone

-6k Suehiro - Not as bad as you might expect. Can glaze over a bit, and is easy to gouge, but not bad. Still I don't use it much anymore

-8k SS - I sometimes think this stone is a bit underrated. My usual finishing stone

-12k SS - lent out currently. Nice fine stone, but even if I had it back, I'm not sure I'd often go above the 8k stone.

I am looking at a Chosera 400 and a natural finishing. To fill that gap I was pondering the fake aoto and kitayama.
The king is getting too thin and afraid it will break.

If you get a substrate that wont rot (cedar, plastic, marble if you want haha) that is sturdy and flat, glue the king to it and only use one side. Get you some more life out of it. May not be worth it for a stone as cheap as a King 1000, but it would work for other more expensive stones as well.

You could go Chosera 400, King 1000, Blue Synthetic Aoto to Kitayama/Takenoko. The Kitayama 8k and Takenoko 6k are the same stone. But I wouldn't jump from the King all the way to the Kitayama. People really like the blue aoto and the kitayama so those sounds like good choices. Don't know about naturals though, looking for my first myself.

You could go Chosera 400, King 1000, Blue Synthetic Aoto to Kitayama/Takenoko. The Kitayama 8k and Takenoko 6k are the same stone. But I wouldn't jump from the King all the way to the Kitayama. People really like the blue aoto and the kitayama so those sounds like good choices. Don't know about naturals though, looking for my first myself.

I have a slightly different take on this one. I think the Kit would be redundant to the J-nat finisher. I'd go with a 3-5k stone after the King and go straight to the finisher. A lot of the ones I've been looking at are around 6-8k and then go up from there by working the mud.

-8k SS - I sometimes think this stone is a bit underrated. My usual finishing stone

-12k SS - lent out currently. Nice fine stone, but even if I had it back, I'm not sure I'd often go above the 8k stone.

I love my 8k SS. I also like the 12k but what's interesting is I don't really seem to get a finer edge with the 12k, at least not noticeably. Oddly, I haven't really tried to see a difference under magnification...

I love my 8k SS. I also like the 12k but what's interesting is I don't really seem to get a finer edge with the 12k, at least not noticeably. Oddly, I haven't really tried to see a difference under magnification...

Right there with ya. It could just be an issue where I'm not skilled enough to use the 12k to full effect, but on the other hand I can get a pretty comfortable shave off of the 8k with a newspaper stropping afterward, so at least in the kitchen I'm not sure what I'd be gaining by regularly finishing with a finer stone.

To me, that 8k SS is nearly ideal - as fine as I seem to get any benefits from, no soak, still aggressive enough to transition from most mid grit stones.

Right there with ya. It could just be an issue where I'm not skilled enough to use the 12k to full effect, but on the other hand I can get a pretty comfortable shave off of the 8k with a newspaper stropping afterward, so at least in the kitchen I'm not sure what I'd be gaining by regularly finishing with a finer stone.

To me, that 8k SS is nearly ideal - as fine as I seem to get any benefits from, no soak, still aggressive enough to transition from most mid grit stones.

Thanks! I am in full agreement here.

DMT XXC
Beston 500
Bester 1200
Suehiro Rika 5000
Kitayama 8000
Japanese whetstone #10000 - private brand
Felt and leather bench strops

DMT XXC
DMT C
Beston 500
Sigma Power 1000 (love this stone, cuts way faster than a Bester, with par finish)
Naniwa Chocera 5000 (a little on the soft side, awesome polish and speed)
Sigam Power 10k
Felt and chromium charged leather.

Jay

If you get a substrate that wont rot (cedar, plastic, marble if you want haha) that is sturdy and flat, glue the king to it and only use one side. Get you some more life out of it. May not be worth it for a stone as cheap as a King 1000, but it would work for other more expensive stones as well.

I have 2x4 I can use :thumbsup2: I am going with Chosera 400, blue aoto (hope it does not crack right away) and the kitayama. Then play with the naturals.:beer:

i've changed thing slightly:

Beston 500
Suehiro 800
Blue synthetic Aoto with little mud
Super cheap but great Masahiro 3000
Blue synthetic aoto with mud
Suehiro 6000
Naniwa 10k SS
Kitayama 8k/12k

then i strop
.5 CrO on balsa
.25 diamond on balsa
scant .25 on split grain leather
bare split grain leather

this is a full sharpening from dull, i try to not touch stones, as much as possible. the main reason i use that Masahiro 3000 is that it makes it really easy to see if i have found a good bevel going to the finer stones. just a few passes on it does it. i used to go with as few stones as possible, but i've gone back to lots of stones.

I primarily use an Edge Pro Apex with Chosera 400/1000/3000/6000/10000, but I just got my first Japanese natural stone, a Nakayama asagi, and sharpened a Watanabe santoku and a Tanaka Aogami #1 banno-funayakai bocho... and man, they're terrifying. Fun stuff.

For those that sample shaving abilities on their arms, does having mangy patches get to you? Cause man, I'm feelin a bit shorn.

Back