What to buy - 1st Carbon Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask Jon to tweak it for you. Who knows....

That should be a great intro-to-carbon knife for you. The Zakuri that I have came with one of the best ootb edges I have ever received.

Knife just shipped. Can't wait! Is there anything I should be mindful so as to not have the knife rust? Will wiping it dry with a towel be enough or should I oil the blade after using it? Is there is a primer on carbon knives?

give me a call and i can explain all about it in more depth than i have time to type here

I know Jon will give you much more detail, but I have a simple routine. I have a couple of cotton terry bar mop towels handy in the kitchen; after each veggie type, I give the knife a quick rinse, then wipe well with one towel and dry it completely with the second. When I'm done with prep I wash the knife right away with dish soap and a sponge, rinse and wipe dry again. I then let the knives sit out for a while before putting them away for the night. It doesn't take but a couple of extra seconds during prep, and one less thing to wash up later on.

I keep an old phone book handy,especially when I'm sharpening.Just slip your knives in between the pages,the paper will wick the excess moisture away.

I have a poop load of carbon, and I just give a quick wipe if I'll be setting it down for more than 30 seconds or so. I also wipe if I'm going from an acidic food to another food, just to avoid staining my product. Honestly, it'll become second nature. I also do the same thing with my stainless knives, but I don't remember if this was a habit I had before getting into carbon or not.

I keep an old phone book handy,especially when I'm sharpening.Just slip your knives in between the pages,the paper will wick the excess moisture away.

I like that idea. And you can strop with it, too. ;)

How many different (competing) phone books you get in T.O. now? We get two white pages and three yellows. Doh.

we don't get that many so I don't throw them out anymore(or untill they get really knarly..)

BTW,do you shop at l'Emoulier in Montreal?? looks like a great shop.

Back