what to get for easiest Kasumi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sharpener I really respect and used to interact with quite often, saved pretty much all of his sharpening stone residue. He'd let it dry and bag it up. He used it for everything from strop compound to different finishes. Sorry I can't help with what he used for which thing but he was pretty big on not buying powder unless it was SiC for stones or real high polish stuff.

He even used charcoal powder out of his grill.

Would you mix the king 800 dust with anything else like baking soda? And I’m assuming apply with windex?

I honestly am fine with the scratches from my crystolon coarse. Just going a cost benefit analysis for panda based on the facts presented by lots more experienced polishing folks and knife makers. 100 grams of a tiny bit of several different polishing stones. Or buy a 1 kg king 800 and have polishing powder forever. This is a dude who only uses a Chosera 400 for his pro kit. Man after my own heart. Not looking for perfect kasumi. Just a finish with minimal drag for maximizing getting stuff done.

I honestly am fine with the scratches from my crystolon coarse. Just going a cost benefit analysis for panda based on the facts presented by lots more experienced polishing folks and knife makers. 100 grams of a tiny bit of several different polishing stones. Or buy a 1 kg king 800 and have polishing powder forever. This is a dude who only uses a Chosera 400 for his pro kit. Man after my own heart. Not looking for perfect kasumi. Just a finish with minimal drag for maximizing getting stuff done.
Max efficiency, I dig it. Honestly would love to try more advanced polishing up from my current chosera 3k which is why I ask, but time has been a very limited resource lately so won’t get to it any time soon, may as well start collecting stone residue

King 800-1200 mud >>>>> tosho powder. You might as well find rub some dust you find on the floor, not to mention how expensive it is relative to the king, which also can put a decent edge on a knife. Honestly if you’re convinced tosho powder is something you want, pm me and I’ll send you my mostly unused bottle and some properly dulled sanding sponges if you cover shipping lol.

So for fun I polished up my formerly metal flow today to as close of a mirror that I could in 1 hour without diamond pastes, and finished one side with mud from king 1200 (which gives lighter contrast compared to 800) and tosho powder. Perhaps some will appreciate the more fine/translucent appearance of the powder in the second pic but in real life I feel the king mud looks far better and hides scratches better as well.

King 1200
IMG_1754.jpeg

Tosho Powder
IMG_1755.jpeg

I later ended up spending more time finishing both sides with king 1200 mud - which also reveals detail in the iron significantly more as well (better than 800 as well o presume because darker contrast also obscures detail/banding)

Both king 1200
IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

If you still want to try the tosho powder free I still have >half the bottle left and would happily give it away since it’s just collecting dust. I just feel that any convenience you’d get from it being prepowdered is destroyed by how perfect of a mirror you need first for it to give a decent result since it doesn’t give enough contrast to cover almost any scratch. Honestly I should grind down my kings and sell that as kasumi powder if a bottle like this goes for 50$ it’d be insane revenue

IMG_1758.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the easiest Kasumi, but the easiest way for me to get the things to make a Kasumi finish.

I give you, plum slate chip from the garden....
After some basic prep of a small chunk on a 150/400grit diamond plate, I used a few strokes on a 1000grit diamond plate to make some slurry and this really helped.
1710080922748.png

1710080948742.png

1710080996247.png

1710081058484.png

And a quick reference pic from when I first got the knife!
1710081491773.png

Last edited:
So for fun I polished up my formerly metal flow today to as close of a mirror that I could in 1 hour without diamond pastes, and finished one side with mud from king 1200 (which gives lighter contrast compared to 800) and tosho powder. Perhaps some will appreciate the more fine/translucent appearance of the powder in the second pic but in real life I feel the king mud looks far better and hides scratches better as well.

King 1200
View attachment 306744

Tosho Powder
View attachment 306745

I later ended up spending more time finishing both sides with king 1200 mud - which also reveals detail in the iron significantly more as well (better than 800 as well o presume because darker contrast also obscures detail/banding)

Both king 1200
View attachment 306751
View attachment 306752

If you still want to try the tosho powder free I still have >half the bottle left and would happily give it away since it’s just collecting dust. I just feel that any convenience you’d get from it being prepowdered is destroyed by how perfect of a mirror you need first for it to give a decent result since it doesn’t give enough contrast to cover almost any scratch. Honestly I should grind down my kings and sell that as kasumi powder if a bottle like this goes for 50$ it’d be insane revenue

View attachment 306757
That looks great with the King.
Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread here. Have you tried to bring back the metal flow with any kind of etching?
Needless to say, I screwed up mine. 😅

which sponges should I get

The 3m fine sanding sponges typically give the most contrast but you need to dull it first on a whetstone or it'll leave scratches. You can try with the superfine/microfine as well but I find that they end up just polishing up the knife closer to a shiny migaki

That looks great with the King.
Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread here. Have you tried to bring back the metal flow with any kind of etching?
Needless to say, I screwed up mine. 😅

I haven't tried any etching yet just because I'm enjoying the subtlety and reduced drag of the current kasumi, but I might try down the line as soon as I figure out a method to keep the core steel bright at the same time.

I haven't tried any etching yet just because I'm enjoying the subtlety and reduced drag of the current kasumi, but I might try down the line as soon as I figure out a method to keep the core steel bright at the same time.

Etching will take away brightness. It's a corrosive process. You have to repolish the core and resharpen the cutting edge.

Etching will take away brightness. It's a corrosive process. You have to repolish the core and resharpen the cutting edge.

I've actually tried this before, but every time I slip a little and ruin the etched finish on the cladding. I might have to try glueing tiny pieces of sandpaper to the edge of a pencil or something XD

I've actually tried this before, but every time I slip a little and ruin the etched finish on the cladding. I might have to try glueing tiny pieces of sandpaper to the edge of a pencil or something XD

Yeah I'm no expert on making it look pretty. But I've etched plenty of knives to force patina on monosteel or to refresh Damascus after thinning and it leaves a rough, matte, grey oxidized surface and a dull apex. Definitely the opposite of shiny mirror polish.

Back