What's a Kramer actually like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original and re-do. The Mizuno was between spa treatments in the bottom photo. The grind is hard to notice in these photos.
The knives were night and day. I have always wondered how many "step children" are out there?

kramer7.jpg

saltysmeji14.jpg

This is my original Kramer. Much taller and heavier than the second. You can kind of get an idea of the grind by the reflection.

kramer6.jpg

It looks like the blade at the heel has 1/3 convex, 1/3 concave in the mid section and 1/3 pretty flat going towards the back of the knife?

I wonder what radius his grinder platen is. How is the food release on this knife?

It's flat/convex ground blade, at least the one I have seen. Pretty thick at the spine over the heel (~4mm), and from half the way on the spine, it tapers rapidly toward the tip (so you have flex from midsection on), I guess partly to achieve balance at the handle. Food release is good at the first half of the blade, due to thinness, ok to mediocre at the heel (wedging), though you won't notice it as much because the bade is tall, and you would have to cut stuff at least as tall or dense.

Heat treatment geared toward sharpness (molten salts), so the edge will get sharp easily, though wear resistance is less than from some makers who use 52100 (as reported by Collin a while back).

M

Back