Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made, leftover fried rice. I overpickled red onions (sat them in water for 24 hrs to mellow out) shredded bbq beef, peas, darlic, basmati rice, soy sauce... Turned out pretty nice... the onions gave a slight tang to the dish, which was refreshing., I made enough for the next 3 days though haha

1.jpg

Wild rice salad with endive, radicchio, and cos lettuce from the garden (heaps of wild rice underneath all the greenery). Brussel sprouts roasted with sesame oil, homemade sriracha and teriyaki sauce. Pine nuts, dried blueberries and cranberries, and a pan-seared sous vide chicken breast. Dressing is a vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar, balsamic glaze, olive oil, and orange zest.

IMG_6327.jpg

Trying to eat healthier in the new year. Mostly focusing on more fiber and vegetables and less saturated fat.

Roasted marinated tofu bowl with broccoli, peppers, onions, kale, sweet potato, rice noodles and a soy peanut sauce.
View attachment IMG_1188.jpeg

Turkey taco salad bowl with chipotle yogurt.
IMG_5985.jpeg

Reminds me of the time I tried to make a dessert risotto. I used orange juice for stock, and white chocolate instead of the usual cheese. Was tasty but it was the heaviest dish I ever made. You basically had to add ice cream to lighten it up...

Like a lot of people around here lately, I am afflicted with a multi-day stomach ache. Normally that would have me getting by on soup and crackers, or craving congee or ice cream or steamed custard or something. Not this time.

The only thing that would do was Chinatown food. Oh, not the really bad stuff, the overcooked butterfly shrimp wrapped in bacon, or the slimy overcooked boy choy in thick flavorless transparent cornstarch slurry, but the next tier up, the stuff made by people who actually knew how to cook when they came over. Haven't had it in years; haven't craved it in longer than that.

Fortunately I had a copy of Martin Yan's Chinatown Cooking. Martin Yan played the buffoon on his cooking show, but a guy I knew who knew him said he's the real deal, he just has a schtick. I brought the book out for the very first time.

Paging through, my eye settled on Tomato Beef. Oh this seems promising. Thin-sliced flank steak, onions, green peppers, celery, tomatoes. Ketchup in the sauce. Sensible cooking process. Any remaining hesitation went away when I saw, in the marinade section, "two teaspoons whiskey." Oh yes, this is the one.

It was just what I wanted. You could say it was a bit too sweet, had a bit too much onion; that it was not really very Chinese. I would nod in agreement, while taking yet another bite, and privately thinking that it was just perfect for what it was supposed to be.
1705274879468.jpeg

Fresh screaming edge on my favorite eddworks with a chosera 3000. Promptly cut my finger with the heel. Mushroom risotto with roasted asparagus and cod

Edit just to add sharpening experience. This thing went through some heavy home use the past few months with only the occasional leather strop. Finally decided it was time to freshen up and was able to get it back to ghosting through newspaper with the tip in ~5-10 minutes on the 3k.

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

Last edited:
Decided to do ribs on a whim. Mix of oak, cherry, and pecan. Some of my best yet, though I only grabbed these pics.

Fried some bacon for breakfast, then sauted onions in that skillet and dumped a can of beans in. Those went on the smoker for about 2 hours after I wrapped the ribs...lordy. Beloved Maz on cabbage duty and excelling.

20240115_162921.jpg

20240115_183508.jpg

20240115_193323.jpg

Your basic humble roast chicken, urgently from frozen, so simmered to thaw, then spatchcocked and roasted on a bed of red and yellow onions sliced with MSicard 205mm MagnaCut gyuto, doused in olive oil and seasoned with matafecha and berbere, with a couple of heads of garlic set on the side of the Darto. Blackened under the grill for crunch. Nothing fancy, went down well.
IMG_2917.jpeg

Leftovers became chicken stock, I’m cooling it as fast as I can!
IMG_2954.jpeg

Last edited:
I wet-brined this chicken breast with fennel and coriander seeds, black pepper and bay over night then let it dry out in the fridge for the day. Put it in a cold pan with a bit of oil and let it cook mostly on the skin side, flipped and finished cooking it for a few minutes. After resting it was juicy with crispy skin and super flavourful. Served with roasted beets, creme fraiche and butter-steamed hispi cabbage it was all really yummy!
IMG_5850.JPG

The only thing I can take credit for here is the guacamole. The smash burger patties, the Sanger brioche, the veggie and feta bits … all from the store. The cheese is Kraft singles. I am not a good cook, I just like putzing around in the kitchen. There is even a scrap of raw meat on the board next to the cooked food. For shame

IMG_2981.jpeg

Some of you will recognize the passaround MagnaCut.

Back