Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that you added star anis to your pickling liquid for the beets, that was a real eye opener for me when I first tried it recently. Stroganoff looks great as well...
Love star anise with pickled beetroot, until I accidentally chew on one of the pods, then it's not so fun. Sometimes I add a whole deseeded serrano chili to the pickle mix as well, gives a nice little background zing to the beets.

The parsley sprigs on the stroganoff are really doing some heavy lifting on the visuals. Ugly but tasty dish.

Cheese in ramen—absolutely! It's not uncommon finding cheese in Japanese, Korean, Mexican renditions of ramen. Cheap Kraft cheese slices on Korean ramen (budae jjigae) almost requisite. Cheese sometimes an ingredient in Japanese style curries. It's just food, food is always evolving.
Tried it. It’s a 10, will likely be doing ramen this way every time. Thanks mate.

Again, this is why I love this thread. Fresh ideas

Fasolatha aka Greek white bean and tomato soup. Simple and delicious plus it's vegan if that's your thing!
IMG_5996.JPG

Inspired by that garlic chopping guy from YouTube, I decided to copy that dish. Didn’t have a recipe, so I kind of went at it with what I had in the fridge and was make for the fam.

Fried the daikon in duck fat - sat the root away and sautéed onions, garlic, ginger, chilli and fermented shrimp paste.
The added back the daikon and some chicken stock. Reduced the sauce to half it size and afterwards threw the hole thing in the oven.

Attachments

• IMG_9705.jpeg
    IMG_9705.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9706.jpeg
    IMG_9706.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9709.jpeg
    IMG_9709.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9710.jpeg
    IMG_9710.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Inspired by that garlic chopping guy from YouTube, I decided to copy that dish. Didn’t have a recipe, so I kind of went at it with what I had in the fridge and was make for the fam.

Fried the daikon in duck fat - sat the root away and sautéed onions, garlic, ginger, chilli and fermented shrimp paste.
The added back the daikon and some chicken stock. Reduced the sauce to half it size and afterwards threw the hole thing in the oven.

kool!
tasty?

Not-so-healthy apple and blueberry muffins:

IMG_6400.jpg

Actually, not that unhealthy. These are sugar free. (I used erythritol instead.) There is also some vanilla protein powder in there, as well as low-fat yoghurt and almond milk.

Macros per muffin (92 g):
  • 158 kCal (661 kJ)
  • Protein: 8.0 g
  • Fat: 5.6 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.6 g
  • Carbohydrates: 16.7 g
  • Sugars: 3.0 g
  • Fiber: 3.2 g
  • Sodium: 158 mg
  • Calcium: 55 mg
Taste is outstanding. Outstanding as in guests asking "that's an excellent muffin, where did you get it?"

IMG_6401.jpg

Or it is possible that I simply have very polite guests… ;)

Last edited:
The quest to butcher every culinary norm continues!

Liege waffles, with oven chicken tonkatsu, homemade garlic crisp and smoked paprika honey.

Honestly pretty solid, I’d replace the liege waffles with a buttermilk since 3-4 liege waffles with oven fried chicken is quite heavy.

Also a nitro crème anglaise. This was phenomenal. Creamy, bubbly, melted ice cream. The mouth feel from the nitro process is awesome, can’t recommend it enough. Going to try a chocolate variant next. My better half added cinnamon to hers and it’s basically an alcohol free eggnog (the good homemade stuff not the stuff from a carton)

Attachments

• IMG_5708.jpeg
    IMG_5708.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5707.jpeg
    IMG_5707.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Chinese New Year meal
Stir Fry Nian Gao 年糕

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

First outing for the Ishikawa single bevel 210
IMG_3666.jpeg

This is a traditional new years meal because the rice cakes “nian gao” translates to “year cake”
But cake is a homonym for higher which in this case is interpreted as rising higher each year
So hopefully my knife collection will achieve new heights in the coming year
IMG_3661.jpeg

Can you explain this process?
Happy to!

So the recipe is just Dorie Greenspan’s crème anglaise. Dorie, for the uninitiated is essentially the Julia child of French baking. Her recipes are generally not particularly frufru, but all the ones I’ve tested from her have without exception, good.

From her site:

1 cup whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

6 large egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Heat the milk and cream to a gentle bubble/boil. While you do, beat the egg yolks and sugar. Once the milk mix is heated, dribble into the eggs while whisking vigorously to temper them. Return the tempered mixture to the pan and heat to 170-175F, remove from heat, mix in vanilla extract and chill.

The nitro process is just using the nitropress DS. They claim it’s a nitrogenator, I remain dubious of their claims but either way it’s compressing and adding (depending on whether you believe the company), either atmospheric air, or nitrogen to the drink. The device makes it dead simple. Add chilled liquid to the whipped cream siphon, pressurize for 8 -15 seconds, shake for 1-2 minutes and dispense. The impact is no different then nitro or Guinness in my experience of playing with it. Nitrogen is far, far less soluble in liquid than CO2 or N2O (what they use in whipped cream due to its fat solubility), but the presence of protein stabilizes the bubbles which helps amplify the effect they have even with their limited solubility, which is one reason why Guinness works. I’ve found milk proteins work just as well for a sous vide coffee + milk mix.

I figured adding fat would be interesting because the texture you get off of it is already extremely creamy due to the very fine bubbles so I figured some form of light custard would be the best route. I was definitely right. It is frankly one of the best things I’ve drank on texture alone, and I’m shocked I’ve never seen it on a bar menu to date.

Back