Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was a'ight. Pepper crusted fillet mignon alla Thomas Keller with horseradish cream sauce and frizzled onions; potato, parsnip, roasted garlic mash; roasted asparagus; and sweet pea shoots. I went a little overboard on the peppercorns.

image.jpg

Beautiful Brianh - Mr. K would be proud I'm sure! Did you tone down the peppercorns in oil or go straight to the meat? I've done it both ways and I can't say one is better than the other just have to love that peppercorn flavor ... yummy!

Thank you! I did tone down the peppercorns but I will next time not use as many, crush finer, or maybe steep in the oil already crushed. I'm sure it's something I did and not the recipe.

We had a guest chef at my hobby/job tonight and I got to be "hey boy".

Gazpacho?

Gazpacho.jpg

Lots of Gazpacho

More%20Gazpacho.jpg

Squash blossoms stuffed w lobster risotto, tempura fried over lobster with cream sauce. (Might be the best thing I've ever put in my mouth)

Squash%20Blossom.jpg

PORK BELLY on a potato cake, poached egg on brioche round.

Pork%20Belly.jpg

Dave, it looks like you got down and dirty with that cookery, everything looks delicious!

We made this one some days ago... It's called "Doeppekooche" (german idiom for Potato cake), a German traditional poor-people dish. Main ingredients are potatoes, eggs, onion and bacon... some people like to add Mettwurst sausage to the potato batter, but we stick with just some bacon stripes on top and underneath and serve with apple sauce and salad. It's nothing fancy, but one of my family's big all time favorite dishes.

doeppe_zps236088da.jpg

doeppeteller_zps463ed721.jpg

Karnstein, that looks delicious. I'm always looking for new meals, and new things the kids might like. You happen to have a recipe for it?

Sure, it's pretty easy...

Ingredients for a 3-4 person dinner:

~4.5-5 pound waxy potatoes
3 eggs
1 white or yellow onion
potato flour
salt, pepper
oil
a package of bacon slices (or two...depending how much bacon you like on top&below the "cake")
cast iron dutch oven/pot/braiser... cast iron works better in my opinion than a stoneware or metal gratin dish

Steps:

1. Peel the potatoes... then grate them finely. Place a kitchen sieve in a bowl and put the potatos in the sieve. When most of the fluid has drained, dish it but keep the starch that sits right at the bottom of the bowl.
2. Throw the grated potatoes in the bowl, add the eggs and enough potato flour until you get a good consistency. Add salt&paper...
3. finely dice the onion and mix them with the potato batter.
4. Coat the bottom and the walls of your cast iron cookware with oil, then add half of the bacon slices.
5. Carefully pour the potato batter into the cookware. Add the remaining bacon on top of it and coat it with oil
6. At that point you're pretty much finished... all that is left is 75+ minutes in the oven at ~200° Celcius until the bacon is crisp and the top of the potato cake has a nice golden-brown color...

If you and your kids are bacon or sausage lovers, you can always alter the recipe by mixing some bacon or smoked sausages into the batter.

Dave Tempura fried squash blossoms stuffed lobster risotto over lobster crème sauce. Looks and sounds awesome.:hungry:

Hi Karnstein, very nice ! In Mittelhessen we call it Dulges - and it definitely needs Mettwurst ;) Traditionally this was often made in the village baking house after baking bread, making use of the heated oven.

Stefan

Been meaning to work on this dish for a while, finally got a chance, worked out really well : Breakfast Congee - Maple Pork Belly/Dashi Braised Cranberry/Runny Egg/Fried Shallot/Roasted Peanut/Scallion

IMG_2584.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Been meaning to work on this dish for a while, finally got a chance, worked out really well : Breakfast Congee - Maple Pork Belly/Dashi Braised Cranberry/Runny Egg/Fried Shallot/Roasted Peanut/Scallion

IMG_2584.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My kind of comfort food. Very nice.

What no paper frills .
place i worked a looooong time ago we had to make them.

What no paper frills .
place i worked a looooong time ago we had to make them.

LOL, actually considered it for a second. I know how to make them but FTS. They busted my culo as it was.

Marinated pork tenderloin with asparagus and scalloped taters.

"C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\Downloads\1214141709_resized.jpg"

hope the images show up

Love the crown roast, Salty. I always think there are too many cooks out there who play around with molecular stuff and fancy combinations but couldn't make a decent omelette, let alone a classic like this.

Stefan

Beef wellington with red wine shallot sauce for Christmas dinner; my favorite rosemary, roasted garlic, parsnip, potato mash; thyme roasted baby carrots.

It was rare-med/rare and delicious.

image.jpg

Back