Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made this! Mussels with a Spanish influenced vinaigrette!

dn2nk3.jpg

Not a big mussels fan, but they do look great. But the Wellington looks stunning. Never had a chance to try my hand on the classic preparation, it's on my list.

Stefan

Thanks. The knife is just a Tojiro dp that i polished with automotive sandpaper (2000 grit). But the polish looks match better on photo than in reality :)

Norwegian Skrei (Cod) wrapped in spruce paper with fresh dill, leeks and buttah.

LqWddSy.jpg

Crappy lighting/cell phone picture but spaghetti alla carbonara with a pair of poached eggs on top. About 3/4 of the way through I was surprised how filling it was, then I realied I was eating 4.5 eggs.

Amateur night over here . . .

2w5odw4.jpg

My attempt at seared scallops with truffle parmesan fondue and microgreens. This was inspired by (read: shamelessly copied from) a meal at one of my favorite restaurants in PDX. Plating could probably use some work :)

Those sort of wilted things on the side were broiled asparagus that I tried to prep first by peeling, blanching, and shocking. They didn't hold up too well. I tried broiling them as an alternative to grilling but I think they were too skinny to handle being both blanched and put under the broiler.

Critiques welcome . . .

What type of pan did you use to sear the scallops? Sear looks a bit light, but I'm sure everything was delicious, thanks for sharing!

What type of pan did you use to sear the scallops? Sear looks a bit light, but I'm sure everything was delicious, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It was an all-clad stainless series 12" fry pan. I used safflower oil and there were 8 scallops in the pan (I bought 10 of them, which came in at about .8 pounds, so not quite U10).

I pat dried the scallops before cooking and seasoned just before searing with s&p and a little bit of sugar, which according to America's Test Kitchen can help kickstart carmelization/browning (I am not 100% sold on this bc I thought browning involved amino acids rather than sugars - so I can see how this trick could aid in carmelized onions but am not sure how it would catalyze browning of protein).

I am having trouble getting a really good sear with the all-clad. The sales rep told me to be very careful about heating it above medium, because it can cause warping. But folks here told me that was silly. This time, I preheated the pan for a few minutes at med low, then up to medium until a drop of water danced. Then I added 1 tbsp of safflower oil, turned the stove top (gas range) up to medium high and waited until I saw light wisps of smoke.

Then I put in the scallops and let them sear for two minutes, then flipped them and turned off the heat, leaving them in the pan for another 30 seconds.

Thoughts? One thing I noticed is that as the oil heated, it tended to pool away from the center of the pan. I tried to shake the pan gently to redistribute - but the scallops that ended up in areas of the pan with more oil tended to sear better.

Anyway this was a first attempt at this dish so I would love suggestions!

If you dont want to heat the pan too high use something else. youd probably get a better sear from a nonstick you heat the balls off of than a med all clad. If you want a good sear you gotta have the heat.... if youre only heating to medlow or med itll be hard to sear anything

Also for the browning thing...the sugar will provide browning via caramelization which is different than the maillard reaction which involves preotein so its like a double whammy to get that brown crust

Lamb shoulder 9 hours into a cook on the offset smoker.

1425794905773.jpg

1). What about clarified butter/ghee instead of safflower...?
2).preheat the pan on MED longer....warping is more a product of rapid heating / cooling. The temperature of a med flalme is the same as a hi flame, it's just how much flame is being applied to the pan. Plus - if the pan warps....bettter to know now.

Thanks! It was an all-clad stainless series 12" fry pan. I used safflower oil ...
I am having trouble getting a really good sear with the all-clad. The sales rep told me to be very careful about heating it above medium, because it can cause warping....I preheated the pan for a few minutes at med low, then up to medium until a drop of water danced. ...
Anyway this was a first attempt at this dish so I would love suggestions!

Back