Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you gotta be a dick?

It was not my intention to come off that way, but reading it back, it doesn't look too great on my part. I just don't like cheese. When I said a "great sandwich", I meant for my personal picky tastes. Your sandwiches are clearly of high quality. No offense meant.

It was not my intention to come off that way, but reading it back, it doesn't look too great on my part. I just don't like cheese. When I said a "great sandwich", I meant for my personal picky tastes. Your sandwiches are clearly of high quality. No offense meant.

You're fine. It's that elitist mucho bucho that's being a dick. It's a Cuban sandwich, and a good one at that. It's getting mad love from local food bloggers in Seattle.
How can I not take offense to a comment like that? Take your trash talk somewhere else dude.

I'm sure it's a good sandwich but dude, get over yourself...it's a ******* sandwich...good food in Seattle but food blogs are meaningless...:you just have to try a bit harder with MB, he'll bow to the good when he sees it. :razz:

You're fine. It's that elitist mucho bucho that's being a dick. It's a Cuban sandwich, and a good one at that. It's getting mad love from local food bloggers in Seattle.
How can I not take offense to a comment like that? Take your trash talk somewhere else dude.

Richard, You must have been looking for offense - it can be easy to find. Don't know how calling someone a dick can be considered anything but dickish.

It's a good looking sandwich, and if you want to call it a Cuban, you certainly can. I think I'll go to Ybor 2morrow.

oNq4o1F.jpg

Dan, I'm only messing with you, gezz. Guess we know your response to customers that don't like cheese. Curious how much that sandwich sells for?

BUT, while i'm at it, I suspect your cuban has some structural issues. If your using a crusty baquette with that much filling, I bet its a challenge to eat without wearing it or it crumbling in the hand.

Also, Lettuce just is a real challenge in a sandwich too. It usually creates a barrier between the top and bottom of the bread. It prevents the sauces/juices and filling to mingle while eating and it. Lettuce crunch is nice but you're better off slicing it in strips or using a lettuce like a frisee that will actually reinforce the sandwich. Cheese is best placed on the bottom of the bread too (or melted on both sides), then meat, then soft veggies like onions, pickles, then sauce on top of the.

The ultimate tell tale sign of a proper sandwich is after someone takes a bite, a string of saliva attaches to the bread and the corner of the mouth.

Welcome to KKF.

<BIG KISS>

E57AD797-FDE8-4F85-8DBF-2DA6ED620A95.jpg

Korma haunted me...

100_0162.jpg

Mixed veg version with hokkaido (cooked on point), tofu (pre-fried), winged bean (cut very small), kohlrabi, dried apricot (small dice. Works in curry, it works well indeed!),2 kinds of bell peppers (pre fried lightly), cashews (lightly fried), fresh cranberries (sour bastards, that's why they work well in a dish like that). A lot hidden under the surface (wanted some gravy to have with rice).

Yes, IKEA wok - useless as a wok, brilliant as a kadai.

EDIT: The olive green pieces are karipatta, not beans.

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'm looking you up and begging you to make me that sandwich.:doublethumbsup:

Lol. Whoops. Didn't know I shared that already

How about this one?
House smoked ham, carnitas, pickled jalapeños, dill pickle, Carmel onions, Swiss, garlic aioli, yellow mustard.
imndlg.jpg

I work days at a full service deli/kitchen. Sandwiches all day long.

Quick question: I only have self rising flour and I need thicken a pan sauce. Other than the salt content in the flour, will the flour have any other adverse effects as a result of the leavening agents?

Quick question: I only have self rising flour and I need thicken a pan sauce. Other than the salt content in the flour, will the flour have any other adverse effects as a result of the leavening agents?

I've never noticed any difference in raising/non-raising flour for pan sauces. I just grab whichever is nearer.

Nice. I did a ribevey earlier this week, 128F for two hours, then seared on BGE. Your chimichurri is prettier than my pesto was.

Nice. I did a ribevey earlier this week, 128F for two hours, then seared on BGE. Your chimichurri is prettier than my pesto was.

makes me wanna go do another one :eek:! I did mine at 133F for 4 hours then seared on cast iron. Chimichurri was made a while ago but frozed (reheated). How did you make your pesto? I've always wanted to try :D IMO, pesto and chimichurri works so good with ribeye, cuts the rich taste.

makes me wanna go do another one :eek:! I did mine at 133F for 4 hours then seared on cast iron. Chimichurri was made a while ago but frozed (reheated). How did you make your pesto? I've always wanted to try :D IMO, pesto and chimichurri works so good with ribeye, cuts the rich taste.

Do you guys use a circulator? Or one of the bath things? I've never used a circulator before and I'm thinking of trying one

Yes on circulator. Specifically Anova circulators for the most part. I've used a Sous Vide (the brand) bath and don't care for the amount of real estate it consumes when not in use. A circulator and a cambro has a small footprint.

Yes on circulator. Specifically Anova circulators for the most part. I've used a Sous Vide (the brand) bath and don't care for the amount of real estate it consumes when not in use. A circulator and a cambro has a small footprint.

yeah the anova is probably one of my best buys in the last few years other than buying knives! :p

Do you guys use a circulator? Or one of the bath things? I've never used a circulator before and I'm thinking of trying one

If you are doing any sort of meat on a regular basis, a circulator is a must-have. Perfect results every single time once you find the right timing and temperature for your liking. Just season and oil, put into a ziploc bag, sous vide until done, then sear on pan for the crust.

Was looking for a different way to prepare salmon, so I tired to replicate a pan seared fish method I saw Gordon Ramsey use on halibut on his MasterChef series. The raw salmon was layered with sliced potatoes ontop to resemble fish scales; using purple, red and yellow fingerlings to give some more pop to the color of the "scales", and cauliflower rice to replicate a bed of sand. 2 min up, 2 min potatoes down, then a few minutes in the oven gave a perfect cook on the salmon, but I think I may need to maybe blanch the potatoes first next time to give them a few more minutes of cook time, as they were just a bit undercooked when they were initially laid on raw. Color was great, this cellphone pic doesn't do it justice. Drizzled it all with a lemon vinaigrette.

Anyone have a better method with getting the potatoes to come out perfect?
l3RDBTxnvC3hNyFzK731KBxfzLGTpCDtg3-oXVrN7Ko

Broken dropbox link :( But then, I see my imgur link is borked too... what's up with image hosting atm...

I had a Hawaiian feast pizza in a pizzeria called freshslice pizza.It was really tasty and I have been planing on trying to make it at home.I bought all the ingredients needed for the topping - tomato sauce,mozzarella,bacon,ham,pineapple and cheddar.IF all goes well I will be having a feast tonight :)

After living in several places and traveling the world a bit, I've concluded that the word Pizza is universally ambiguous. To my observations, any baked bread with a toping on it could be called a pizza. Reminds me a lot what we in America call "Chinese Food." I'm not sure there's a more misunderstood global cuisine, except maybe pizza?

Back to sandwiches. I had an urge for cold salty smoked fish.

The white fish wasn't too hard to clean either.

2 lb. whole or filleted smoked whitefish
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup lowfat sour cream
1/2 cup minced celery stalks
2 tbsp fresh minced dill
2 tbsp fresh minced chives
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice to taste

Lox, tomato, white fish, sliced shallot, lox sandwiched between seeded rye bread.

View attachment 33509View attachment 33510

Duck confit , blood oranges and fennel
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1478588414.473217.jpg

Toothfish (aka Chilean sea bass) , saffron tomato broth , butter roasted prawns and summer vegetables
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1478588444.321484.jpg

Back