Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll never get tired of a good chicken soup. Homemade broth just takes it over the top. That, and a nice dumpling steamed on top of the soup is just pure tangible comfort. I'll usually put a little something on top for a touch of kick, this time it was a few drops of homemade Thai chili and garlic sauce, but my preferred is jalapeno vinegar.

That dumpling looks beautifully aerated Damage. Could I trouble you for a recipe and the technique? We're approaching summer here in Australia so it's not really soup weather but dumplings are not something I've done a lot of and I'd like to work on that. They look yeasty?

That's a tasty looking soup, Damage. Beats Zymelin spray I would think..

Lars

That dumpling looks beautifully aerated Damage. Could I trouble you for a recipe and the technique? We're approaching summer here in Australia so it's not really soup weather but dumplings are not something I've done a lot of and I'd like to work on that. They look yeasty?

No yeast, just baking power and baking soda. It's a really simple recipe. The hardest part is not overmixing. This should be enough for 8 medium-large dumplings.

125ml of 38% (or close to that) crème fraîche
125ml milk (not skim, preferably 1,5%)
2 large eggs
500ml plain flour (I use wheat) Yes, I know it isn't weight, volume sucks, but it's how I've always done it for dumplings.
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine salt

Make sure your soup is not boiling, but at a lively simmer before you start.

Sift together the dry ingredients so they are mixed well and there are no lumps. Beat the eggs until white is no longer stringy and mix in the milk and crème fraîche.

Mix the wet and the dry together with a spatula but only until there are barely any dry spots and it is just combined. It's very important not to overmix, or you will have very hard and tough dumplings. You want these to be airy and light and tender.

Spoon eight large dollops of the mixture onto your simmering soup and put on a tight-fitting lid. The tighter the lid, the better they steam. Also, make sure your soup level is not too high, or they will stick to the lid once they rise. Let them steam for 10-15 minutes. Test them with a bamboo skewer. If it comes out clean, they are done and it's time to eat.

Good luck, and if you make these I would love to see some photos.

Thanks Damage, I'll give that a crack. I make a fair bit of soup during the cooler months and I'm getting a bit bored with my usual favourites so I'm looking for things like this to change it up a bit. I'll post pics but only if mine look as good as yours😃

I try to cook things at home that I can't get in local restaurants, and we don't have any decent Chinese restaurants where I live. So I've been starting to work my way through Fuchsia Dunlop's books on Chinese cooking (Every Grain of Rice, Revolutionary, Land of Plenty).

Here's a hot-and-sour mushroom soup with shiitakes, oyster, and crimini mushrooms:

Hot-and-sour-mushroom-soup.jpg

This is "Sweet-and-Sour Fish Tiles" with local fresh Halibut, and egg-fried rice on the side, first time I've been able to play with the new Kurosaki nakiri:

Sweet-and-sour-fish-tiles.jpg

Yummy P! The mushroom soup looks fantastic & I am a huge fan of Dunlop's anything! thx for sharing!

I try to cook things at home that I can't get in local restaurants, and we don't have any decent Chinese restaurants where I live. So I've been starting to work my way through Fuchsia Dunlop's books on Chinese cooking (Every Grain of Rice, Revolutionary, Land of Plenty).

Here's a hot-and-sour mushroom soup with shiitakes, oyster, and crimini mushrooms:

Hot-and-sour-mushroom-soup.jpg

This is "Sweet-and-Sour Fish Tiles" with local fresh Halibut, and egg-fried rice on the side, first time I've been able to play with the new Kurosaki nakiri:

Sweet-and-sour-fish-tiles.jpg

No, it's a 240mm carbon Kochi gyuto from JKI. I'd never heard of a Wakui—just looked it up on the Tosho site, similar looking knife. From the looks of the two, I believe the Kochi is a little taller, with perhaps a tad more belly than the Wakui. Kochis a great cutter.

+1

I always use my homemade sambal whenever I’m cooking southeast Asian foods, really boosts the umami of everything. Learned this one from one of my chefs a few years back
Ginger garlic jalapeño and cilantro all deep fried and blitzed, then simmered in 1 to 1 fish sauce and sugar until it’s the consistency of Carmel. Super good on wings

Here is some potato panang curry it went in, with a side of pork belly.
2rcahon.jpg

I always use my homemade sambal whenever I’m cooking southeast Asian foods, really boosts the umami of everything. Learned this one from one of my chefs a few years back
Ginger garlic jalapeño and cilantro all deep fried and blitzed, then simmered in 1 to 1 fish sauce and sugar until it’s the consistency of Carmel. Super good on wings

Here is some potato panang curry it went in, with a side of pork belly.
2rcahon.jpg

Will be trying. For sure

j9AIbWc.jpg

Dressing is
2 parts lime [emoji522]
2 parts fish [emoji226] sauce
1.5 parts Palm sugar [emoji267]
Garlic
Ginger
Birds eye chilli 🌶

Confused implementation of "Chinese green pepper steak" (chuka fans say it needs bamboo sprouts, chinese that it needs potatoes. zoidberg it. And of course it is seitan.)... Always a good excuse to use a cleaver in anger...

Excuse the messy photo...

Lookin good guys

The lady that owns the wine shop across the street from my store came by with a five gallon bucket of mussels from Taylor shellfish (Seattle). The only thing better than fresh out the water shellfish, when it’s free.
Coconut curry mussels with some bonus shrimp and beef tendon I needed to use up
2ryow8m.jpg

I made a Spanish Baked Mac and cheese. Kinda a cross between shrimp and grits only replaced the grits with pasta for a baked mac and cheese. I added sliced cocktail olives, tomatoes, saffron in the shrimp stock, little red pepper flake server covered in chopped parsley. I’ve never heard of it before WOW did it hit the spot.

Back