Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, Im looking at Danish beef tongue at the Chinese supermarket in Canada
_20190526_075540.jpeg

Who knew Finnish dairy cattle would make a steak that good. I'm quite happy that I can get this meat only a 20 minute drive from where I live, usually at decent prices. I haven't purchased American ribeye since I found the Finnish stuff.

I have these four vacuum packed in the freezer so I can put them directly in the sous vide bath.

View attachment 53803

Thought I read something awhile ago that dairy cattle were historically regarded as unsuitable for meat because they expend most of their energy for milk production and not bulking up. However once retired from milk production extra energy gets stored as intramuscular fat/marbling.

Also +1 on the like button in this thread [emoji41]

Taco's Al Pastor (Pollo) - bought a new little skewer system for the egg ... capped with bacon while smoking/grilling ... roasted pineapple salsa, guacamole, lime/cilantro/Serrano crema and a bit of cilantro ... happy

v1j7Sob.jpg

yBGKCtm.jpg

dTgFM2G.jpg

Now to get some piggy shoulder to do it "right" ...

Thank you. I still use a thermapen to get close to the right temp.
I always do as much as I can to make sure the fat cap cooks so it's nice to eat. Cool noodles. Is that bonito flake on top?

View attachment 53581

D, Not that you need any advise on cooking a steak, next time for an even better rendered and crispy fat cap, sear the fat first before the sides. Sometimes I can get the steak/fat to stick to the pan and hold itself up while rendering. This does two things, renders the fat into the pan that's used for cooking the sides. Its a little extra step that pays off big in flavor of the finished product.

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time to give it a "jump start". The reason I've been crisping the fat cap at the end is because by that point, it has contracted (I always score the fat cap), which means more surface area. Also, there is more fat in the frying pan at the end due to some having rendered off the steak plus the butter from basting. This means that when I tilt the pan, I can completely submerge the fat cap in the oil and butter, effectively deep frying it. The result is like crackling on the outside, but soft and creamy fat in on the inside.

I hope photo's aren't mandatory, but I've been enjoying my dive into MasterClass cooking lessons. I've seen it plastered all over Facebook for close to 6 months, and since it had plenty of Thomas Keller content and Aaron Franklin BBQ, I took the dive and signed up.

Cant say I regret it. The quality and content is worth it. I've been working on very simple dishes that vastly improve upon my previous efforts, even simple side dishes like pan roasted zucchini and similar veggies.

Keller presents simple techniques instead of hard-and-fast recipes. Slicing whole zucchini lengthwise, instead of the more common "coins" He uses a small knife to cross hatch cuts about 1/3" into the flat surface of the zucchini and then liberally salts them, waits 15-20 minutes then blots off the moisture (that contains a lot of bitterness). Pan seared in canola oil for it's hight flash point, then finished in a 435º oven for 20 minutes gives a super custard-y result that really makes the natural flavor of zucchini shine. Definitely worth a try, and it plates very well, making an attractive compliment to any protein on a plate. I doubt I'll go back to sautéing "coins" in a pan.

I've been enjoying my dive into MasterClass cooking lessons
I had a look at the website. I'm having a real problem even considering signing up for that, mostly because it appears to be a cat in a bag. There is no indication of how long these lessons are. (All I'm told is that there are 36 lessons.) And once I've paid my $280 (which is definitely not cheap), I have rented access to the lessons for a year. Once that year is up, I presumably get to pay another $280.

The website does a superb job at not disclosing what I'd actually be buying. Whether that's intentional or due to incompetence I cannot tell…

I had a look at the website. I'm having a real problem even considering signing up for that, mostly because it appears to be a cat in a bag. There is no indication of how long these lessons are. (All I'm told is that there are 36 lessons.) And once I've paid my $280 (which is definitely not cheap), I have rented access to the lessons for a year. Once that year is up, I presumably get to pay another $280.

The website does a superb job at not disclosing what I'd actually be buying. Whether that's intentional or due to incompetence I cannot tell…

I'll try to help if I can!

The access is $90 for one lesson (seems like a lame idea to me) or $180 for full access to everything they offer. Whether you're into acting, poetry, screenwriting, cooking (on many different levels/styles etc) BBQ, now even poker, ummm there's lots of other topics, writing, sports, wine appreciation, etc....

Thomas Keller does two completely separate courses. One has 22 lessons, the other has 36. Video length varies depending on depth of topic, but most average a minimum of 10-12 minutes for the very simple stuff, and 20-22 minutes for more advanced.

I haven't even gotten to the Wolfgang Puck, Gordon Ramsey stuff. But I appreciated the BBQ content from Aaron Franklin and everything from Keller.

I think the poker lessons from Phil Ivey just got added.

To be honest, I haven't even scratched the surface. But I like adjusting my cooking approach to what other pro's do in their home kitchens, or little techniques that make for better dishes in their professional lives.

My main goal was sharing how darn delicious and easy tonight's zucchini was!

I bet if they did a teaser where a potential customer could spend maybe $8 for 30-45 minutes access to the entire site, they'd land even more subscribers. It's leagues beyond your favorite YouTube channel in terms of quality and details, and I follow a metric crap-ton of YouTube channels.

I hope photo's aren't mandatory, but I've been enjoying my dive into MasterClass cooking lessons. I've seen it plastered all over Facebook for close to 6 months, and since it had plenty of Thomas Keller content and Aaron Franklin BBQ, I took the dive and signed up.

Cant say I regret it. The quality and content is worth it. I've been working on very simple dishes that vastly improve upon my previous efforts, even simple side dishes like pan roasted zucchini and similar veggies.

Keller presents simple techniques instead of hard-and-fast recipes. Slicing whole zucchini lengthwise, instead of the more common "coins" He uses a small knife to cross hatch cuts about 1/3" into the flat surface of the zucchini and then liberally salts them, waits 15-20 minutes then blots off the moisture (that contains a lot of bitterness). Pan seared in canola oil for it's hight flash point, then finished in a 435º oven for 20 minutes gives a super custard-y result that really makes the natural flavor of zucchini shine. Definitely worth a try, and it plates very well, making an attractive compliment to any protein on a plate. I doubt I'll go back to sautéing "coins" in a pan.

Im no expert, but I don't recommend canola oil as a high flash point oil, as it smokes at about 400f. In a 435f oven that sounds a bit like a potential for a smokey mess.

Back