Whats the Deal with Shun and VG-10 Steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Shuns I've seen have generally been ground as well and cut as well or better than a host of knives I've tried that are FAR more costly. Are there better deals? Yes. Are they gimmicky? Yes. Do they feel wonky? Sure. Are they sub-par or below average? No. I'd say they are in better than average territory as far as cutting and fit and finish. The rest is subjective. I can't believe you people have me defending Shun of all things... :spankarse:

i hope i have some customers stop by with some for sharpening next time you come to visit... then we can look and see what i am talking about. I dont think they are bad knives by the way... i was just expressing my surprise at the fact that the vast majority i see have visible grind defects on the sides of the blades.

Okay. I'll bring mine if I can get it back from my sister in law so you can experience the awesomness of a 165 mm dimpled santoku.

Dimples are a grind issue, if you ask me! ;)

A good salesman knows how to turn a negative into a positive. They are a gimmick, not a grind issue.

Hahahah. Better yet, an optional feature, not a gimmick. :D

Back