what's your comfort food? pick ONE!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak for others but any "comfort food" for me is something somebody else prepared. Lasagna comes to mind, but I would settle for a variety of Chinese steam buns, noodle soup (surprise!) and egg rolls.

What's the cultural history of this combo? I've never heard of it, but sounds, umm...interesting.

Not sure, but it may be a Mexican thing. Im half Mexican and grew up mixing chile and lemon with a variety of fruits and veggies. Plus, they have carts all around LA that sell it on the streets.

+1

this is making me hungry now

Never seen eggs cooked that way.

I grew up in Hong Kong...miss the food there so much.
My comfort foods would be:
Roast meat on rice
Wonton Noodles with brisket & tendons
Congee with fried dough for dunking and a side order of soy sauce noodles

Hard cider, there's an apple in every bottle......

Really, it's probably "calavasas". Native squash thin sliced and slow fried with fresh corn cut from the cob and green onions. Cook until slightly caramelized. Eaten with a 2 inch thick steak cooked argentine style over oak and it is totally the bomb.

+1 bangers & mash but I might prefer sausage (bangers) beans & chips with a fried egg & Coleman's mustard...hangover cure!

I making Hainan chicken rice tonight for me and wifey.
When I used to commute to China for work that dish or a club sandwich at any Shangri-la Hotel was comfort....

Pelmieni for a meal
Green chile for everything
Dried salmon for snacks

I can't speak for others but any "comfort food" for me is something somebody else prepared. Lasagna comes to mind, but I would settle for a variety of Chinese steam buns, noodle soup (surprise!) and egg rolls.

+1 to the anything else someone else prepares. For me it's gas station fried chicken. It's not so much about finding the best fried chicken at a gas station, it's about finding the one that sells a ton of it so it's always fresh wether for a hangover cure or late night munchies. Or biscuits and gravy but I try and save that for a splurge as I can at least justify the fried chicken being mostly protein hehe.

Hot pot....any type of Hot pot! There are dozens of varieties of hot pots: Taiwanese hot pot, Mongolian Hot Pot, Instant-boiled mutton, Manchurian hot pot, Sukiyaki , Shabu-shabu, Korean Budae-jjigae..... etc. Serve with top quality beef (kobe beef, USDA premium), pork, Lamb, Poultry. Fresh seafood & lots vegetables.
IMO, Hot pot is best way to taste original flavour/sweetness from nice fresh Ingredients.

For me, it's a good, hopefully great, cheeseburger.

Good = ground chuck, 85% lean, perfectly rare-medium-rare, crusty on the outside, properly seasoned, without any extraneous additions messing with the flavor profile of the beef, and real cheese (not "cheese food" :nono:)
Great = Good + an excellent fresh, soft yet toothsome, sesame-seed bun, with upgraded cheese (like chunky blue cheese sauce or sharp Cheddar)

Carbanara from work, double pancetta 200grm and an extra egg yolk, probably 1k cals but who cares

Hot pot....any type of Hot pot! There are dozens of varieties of hot pots: Taiwanese hot pot, Mongolian Hot Pot, Instant-boiled mutton, Manchurian hot pot, Sukiyaki , Shabu-shabu, Korean Budae-jjigae..... etc. Serve with top quality beef (kobe beef, USDA premium), pork, Lamb, Poultry. Fresh seafood & lots vegetables.
IMO, Hot pot is best way to taste original flavour/sweetness from nice fresh Ingredients.

Ahhh man!! Shabu shabu is the ish! I need to hit my local shabu spot at least a couple times a month. Used to be a couple times a week but i gained too much weight lmao. I see youre in socal, you ever been to shin sen gumi shabu shabu?

Frozen custard. In other parts of the country it might be called ice cream but here in Wisconsin when you go out for "ice cream" you go out for frozen custard. Cream, eggs, high butter-fat content.........soft serve.

Meatballs - made with my grandma's recipe with mustard from my hometown :)

Ahhh man!! Shabu shabu is the ish! I need to hit my local shabu spot at least a couple times a month. Used to be a couple times a week but i gained too much weight lmao. I see youre in socal, you ever been to shin sen gumi shabu shabu?

Shin Sen Gumi is about one & half hour driving from where I live. I have only been there twice for Yakitori & Ramen. I'm looking forward to try their chanko-nabe & shabu shabu.:hungry:

Hot turkey sandwich, lots of dark gravy, dressing/stuffing, fries and green peas. A bit of malt vinegar on top. Ginger ale.

Back