What's your largest?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest I use is 240s anymore. Sold my 300 and 270s off...I found them unnecessary...although way awesome. Do miss my 270 Takeda a lot as it was my first jnife but it went to a really good home :)

Good point, didn't think about that. but there is a practical limit in size before a knife gets too unwieldly or you just don't take full advantage of the length. At the moment, I have a 300mm and feel I could go longer but of course, this is theoretical. I guess I won't know until I try it.

I've never bought into the "longer is better" mantra for slicers for a few reasons. The length needs to be comfortable relative to your arm length when drawing. There is a point where long is too long. Even most butchers I know use an 8-10" knife for portioning large cuts...

Even when slicing with my 10" slicer I made the observation that mostly 2/3 of the knife has patina because I never use the full length of the blade but rather the first 2/3s from the tip.

There are theoretical advantages to using 300mm+ lengths and I'm sure some real world advantages too, but they definitely don't translate on the cutting board for me, personally.

I like 240-270mm best with a slight preference for the 270mm. Any longer and it begins to lose its strengths IMO.

I used to own a 300mm honyaki gyuto... It was actually a great knife to use and an amazing cutter. Wish I hadn't sold it back to the guy I bought it from....

-Chuck

i think on rare occasions a 300+mm gyuto would come in handy. i think 260 is the ideal length, but often a little more length is desirable. that being said, i'd rather deal with the slightly less optimal length of 270 and have that extra last bit when needed than not have it and miss it.

I had the privilege of using Son's 1890's Trompette (290mm left) for some time at my home kitchen, and it was the first chef's knive above 250mm I ever handled. After finding the balance point and moving my grip a little forwards I started to love the working of the weight. Curiously enough it was this beast that taught me the proper use of the tip area. Recently I bought a Hiromoto AS 270 (265mm) and use it since for almost everything.

That thing is a weapon too pretty to use :knifed: I'm too comfy with 240's / 270's to need anything bigger... Had a 14" sab but never used it. Loved to wave it around though.

One of my first Jknives was a Tojiro Pro 300mm gyuto. I've had a few 300mm suji's. Currently I don't own anything over 270mm, except a 14" Forshner scimeter that I use for big sides of halibut, and whole large wild salmon.

I'd like to get a 360mm Misono dragon suji and do a wa conversion....that would be sick!

Back