When your wife gets ahold of your cast iron skillet...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
R.I.P. 2018-2022

8375007F-9AD8-4C94-A1DB-AC2E4F033F4D.jpeg

Well, that's not cast iron, it's carbon steel! Wife did a great job, she washed it and then got busy and forgot to dry it lol. Mine won’t even bother to use cast iron or carbon steel lol. Or even wash them lol.

Good thing that rust is superficial and easy fix. Scrub it down with dish soap, rinse and wipe dry, then scrub with pam spray and coarse salt with a half cut potato… and if still any residual rust, do a 20 minute bath of vinegar/water 50:50 solution. That skillet doesn’t need to be fully stripped. And last step, preseason!

Last edited:
She just scrubbed it hard with a metal scrubby and didn't dry it. It was completely black before that
Lol it will season itself again… cook some bacon, fry some veggies, and make cornbread in the oven… it will turn back black in no time lol

Well, that's not cast iron, it's carbon steel! Wife did a great job, she washed it and then got busy and forgot to dry it lol. Mine won’t even bother to use cast iron or carbon steel lol. Or even wash them lol.

Good thing that rust is superficial and easy fix. Scrub it down with dish soap, rinse and wipe dry, then scrub with pam spray and coarse salt with a half cut potato… and if still any residual rust, do a 20 minute bath of vinegar/water 50:50 solution. That skillet doesn’t need to be fully stripped. And last step, preseason!
It's a super thin cast iron Lodge skillet

It's a super thin cast iron Lodge skillet
Carbon steel and Cast iron have same cooking properties but will differ in heat retention and weight. Triple riveted skillets are carbon steel, prelaminated and cut and shaped and assembled (pan + handle). Cast iron is molten and poured in sand moulds. It’s only one piece!

Last edited:
Carbon steel and Cast iron have same cooking properties but will differ in heat retention and weight. Triple riveted skillets are carbon steel, prelaminated and cut and shaped and assembled (pan + handle). Cast iron is melted and poured in sand moulds. It’s only one piece!
Interesting! Ok thanks

What is the correct procedure for cleaning cast iron? Very hot water, dry, then lightly oiled? Or should a mild soap be used?

What is the correct procedure for cleaning cast iron? Very hot water, dry, then lightly oiled? Or should a mild soap be used?
Like every other pan, with dish soap, scrub it well, rinse well, wipe dry and spray some pam oil and wipe with a paper towel.

Attachments

• 59443A36-3FF4-4003-92D8-AD6C2E466B73.jpeg
    59443A36-3FF4-4003-92D8-AD6C2E466B73.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 0
I clean all my cast iron and carbon steel pans with a sponge, soap and water every time I use them. I never bother oiling them either, just make sure they're nice and dry before storing. I've been into cast iron a lot longer than knives and stones and have over a hundred pieces. Once you have even a halfway decent seasoning on them they're pretty low maintenance IMO.

I clean all my cast iron and carbon steel pans with a sponge, soap and water every time I use them. I never bother oiling them either, just make sure they're nice and dry before storing. I've been into cast iron a lot longer than knives and stones and have over a hundred pieces. Once you have even a halfway decent seasoning on them they're pretty low maintenance IMO.
Samw here… have over 100+ pieces. Wapak collector here. Probably I might know u from other groups lmao

Samw here… have over 100+ pieces. Wapak collector here. Probably I might know u from other groups lmao

KKF wins again. I thought my 10 cast iron pans were too much... I'm feeling much more reasonable now :). My BSR is my favorite and sits stove top!

@KnightKnightForever - If you want to go all the way back to 0, you can also use the heavy duty (with Lye) oven cleaner. I put on rubber gloves, put the pan in a garbage bag, spray it down on all sides, tie the bag shut, and come back the next day. Most everything will wipe right off and you'll have a nice dull grey steel to build up exactly how you want.

Like every other pan, with dish soap, scrub it well, rinse well, wipe dry and spray some pam oil and wipe with a paper towel.
The reason I asked is because I wasn't sure about whether or not soap would effect the seasoning of the pan. Thanks.

Back