Where do you find the best burls and woods

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
OK

Your selecting the handle for the best knife you can think of, which websites do you use to select woods or other possible handle materials ?

Ie where can i find some bad ass handle stock, both quality and funkiness

Craig Stevens Studio. Ebay store.

Or Exotic Burl Woods. EBW. Hes on Ebay and has web page and on social media.

OR Mark at Burl source for some species.

Or, OR, OR OR....

Or someone else please, i know its sounds strange but non of those stores have that one piece that jumps out at me

What are ya wanting? I have a dozen or more sources because some have this and some have that and the stock rotates in and out. Without more info on what your looking for exactly I dont know what else I can suggest. GOOGLE is your friend. Also Ebay sometimes has some really fantastic stuff..

Im after something either extreme quality for a burl like Amboyna or preferably a really deeply colored pyschadelic type block. Ive looked at almost everywhere that i can google and cant get that one piece. I like some of Craig Stevens blocks but im not sure in reality they live upto his pictures.

The perfect block would mix deeply figured high contrast burl with bright acrylic for an old/new look

Greenberg Woods usually has some nice amboyna and other exotic burls.

For your psychedelic cravings, check out Exotic Blanks on IG. He does a lot of double and triple dyed stabilized wood, and he does some really wild stuff with alumalite. I have not seen any of his stuff firsthand, but everything I’ve gotten from Greenberg has been top notch.

You may want to have a chat with a maker or supplier about getting a custom piece of wood made for yourself.
I picked up a knife recently with a wood/resin handle that was pretty different to all the others I have.

There do seem to be some interesting pieces from time to time with resin cast alongside the wood.

Multi dyed crazy color burls and hybrids, try theblankspace.us, akdesigns.net, @derangeddonkey on Instagram, @exotic_blanks on Instagram, @5tharrowknives on Instagram.

I'll ditto Randy on Craig Stevens and Exotic Burl Woods/Matt Manning through eBay. I've bought multiple items from both and they live up to the pics if not better sometimes. Isle Woods on eBay has really great stuff as well, and I just bought a bunch of amboyna from him.

Mark at Burlsource.us gets some super high quality stuff but it sells very quickly. Ben at Greenbergwoods.com gets a lot of really cool exotic burls too.

Edited to add: I'm always trolling eBay and Etsy because you never know who's selling their excess or who is making some cool stabilized wood. There's a number of Russian, Ukranian, and other eastern european folks selling nice looking dyed and stabilized woods. But you have to be somewhat careful, one block I got from one of them looked nice but it was obvious that it didn't take up much of the stabilizing resin because it was much lighter than I would've expected for that particular burl after stabilization (meaning their process didn't put as much resin into the wood as some others).

Below the trunk and above the roots.

Hoss

I've got some neat blanks from ArizonaIronwood--ironwood, black ash burl, amboyna. They sell more more than iron wood and have a lot of figured material, but not so much very exotic stuff. So, if you're after very exotic then other sites'll be the way to go...

Our sponsor, Dream Burls, does not have a huge inventory but what he has is very nice and well priced.

And Mark @ Burl Source. Between them I've not had 5o shop elsewhere.

I usually just look in my basement :D Sounds like you need a custom cast for the piece you are looking for.

Stefan

Latest posts

Back