Where to Buy Sayas? + Saya pics welcome

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a bunch of knives that I'm thinking of maybe getting Saya's for.... Does anyone know where I might start by either

1. buying something off the rack (I know there are a bunch of them on retailers but I'm a bit wary of them
2. not sure who does customs
--- and as a follow-up question - how much? - I know it will vary on materials and etc but just thinking ball park.

Also show off your Saya's would love to see some work here!

If you’re not dead set on wooden sayas and just need to keep them safe, honestly using thin cardboard works great.
Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I don't really see the practical purpose of sayas... 🫣

For medium/long-term home storage, VCI-lined cardboard sleeves are the better choice for rust avoidance. And for protection during transit, cork-lined edge guards are much less heavy and much less bulky.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.png
    IMG_2801.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I don't really see the practical purpose of sayas... 🫣

For medium/long-term home storage, VCI-lined cardboard sleeves are the better choice for rust avoidance. And for protection during transit, cork-lined edge guards are much less heavy and much less bulky.
@daveb ban this fool. Calls himself a knife enthusiast!!!!

Mostly kidding. Yea I getcha but I just want a nice saya 🤷‍♂️ doesn’t have to be practical. I’m not a chef I just like looking at it lmao. I’m just curious on options but I’m not set on anything quite yet.

Like wooden saya used to buy from Japanese Chef Knife around 20.00 for 240mm would order 4 at a time. Shipping cheap to Hawaii. Can't do that anymore. After Covid now must buy a knife.

Amazon sell cheap wooden saya. They are rough finished need to be sanded then coated so don't get dirty easy to wipe down. Mercer 210mm with nice grain. For thin knives entrance narrow
Just 12.00 dollars. The Foxwake also need sanding & finish. Wider thicker saya fits more knives. 210mm 14.00. Can't see how they can make saya & sell retail on Amazon so cheap. I usually sand & coat saya anyway so no big deal.
If you want really nice custom saya you have to pay much more. Of coarse if you have a nice blade why not put out for a custom.
20240308_192031.jpg

I don't disagree with you. For long term storage VCI paper and cardboard does make a lot more sense. Sayas are heavy as heck. When I bring a full kit to work, my bag weighs a ton! Practical they are not. But it isnt really practical to have 42 gyutos either (not that there is anything wrong with it)

All that said, I make them for all of my knives. A matching saya and handle look cool. And I do enjoy admiring them. Mine are displayed on a rack at my house. (ala the sword racks in "Kill Bill") I do get oohs and ahhs from the other cooks at work when I pull something new out of my bag.

I don't disagree with you. For long term storage VCI paper and cardboard does make a lot more sense. Sayas are heavy as heck. When I bring a full kit to work, my bag weighs a ton! Practical they are not. But it isnt really practical to have 42 gyutos either (not that there is anything wrong with it)

All that said, I make them for all of my knives. A matching saya and handle look cool. And I do enjoy admiring them. Mine are displayed on a rack at my house. (ala the sword racks in "Kill Bill") I do get oohs and ahhs from the other cooks at work when I pull something new out of my bag.
I've seen your rack sayas are awesome.

I like the Blade Safes. Rubber nubs o hold the blade, hard plastic to protect it, easy and durable.
+1 on this. I just got mine and it’s great. Rubber to hold the blade tight and still.

No rubbing in and out. Only problem is that they are more pricy than the felt grips (duh) but they are really nice.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Glad you like them! The other thing I like about them is that they don't hold moisture like the felt edge guards.

Magnetic says are lovely, but i have injured myself multiple times (mostly due to stupidity on my part) when the blade has slipped, usually slicing my fingers open on the bottom corner just poking out

Pros - no loosing pins
cons - ouch

Ive always wondered if wooden sayas could damage the edge from the blade rattling around inside?

These are the knives I bring to work, I buy edro magnetic sayas and draw on them. For me walking to work with a knife roll these do scratch the blades a little bit but I’m also a little clumsy. I think if they were micro suede or felt lined they would be perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back