where to get old forgies?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys I see lots of people posting forgie refurbishings and stuff like that. been wanting to get more into handle work and was wondering if theres a good place to pick up some old carbon knives to play around with for projects. ebay seems hit or miss for my searches and thought you guys might have a bit more know how than me

Or post a WTB on BST. Lots of us have a few in storage. :)

You might try antique and second hand stores. But it’s really much more miss than hit.
I've seen some nice ones while garage saleing as well. I collect comics as well as knives and this last year was rough for bargain hunting I only was able to get out and about twice. perhaps Ill take @PappaG advice and post in wtb until this spring summer when I can go out more. I think I need to have more posts and time on the boards before I can interact with that forum though as I'm new here

The bay. Search for old carbon knives, forgecraft (or something like that).

The chef knives are pricey, esp the 10". The cleaver and boner are considerably cheaper and knives I actually use. Tried for years and can't find anything the slicer is good for.

Several years ago, before I got interested in kitchen knives, I decided to start buying carbon steel knives at garage sales and flee markets whenever I saw them as they had usually been dirt cheap, take a great edge, and are quite a value. Ever since making that decision, I've not even seen a single one.

Ebay is your best bet. There have been several lots listed/selling for decent prices(your best bet at getting good deals) make sure you study the photos well though. Many are sold as being in "great condition" yet are far from. I've been burned a few times with deep pitting and blades that look like they were used as pry-bars

The old hickory/ontario blades are a good choice as well. Lots of variations to choose from. The newer ones can usually be purchased much cheaper than used ones.

Back