Where to shop in Japan and what to buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qaswexort

Reaction score
HI all,

I will travelling to Japan next week - spending 4 days Tokyo and 4 days in Osaka with a day trip to Kyoto. I've researched the recommended shopping regions - Kappabashi, Sennichimae Doguyasuji, Sakai, etc., and just looking for overall experiences.

Looking for a 210-240mm gyuto or bunka in a different steel. I currently use a Sakai Takayuki gyuto in AEB-L and it's a bit soft for my liking. Looking for something in either high carbon steel or R2 or Ginsan or comparable.

I don't speak Japanese, so it'll be hard to make an appointment with specific knifemakers. I can use Google Translate to get by in a retail store

I've been researching a few smaller stores. These are:
Minamoto No Hisahide
Hayakawa
Shintou
(all in Kyoto)
Can anyone recommend these or others? Or should I stick to Tower Knives, Kamata, Tsubaya as they speak English and have a wider selection?

Also I'd be interested Takada no Hamono, Ashi, Heiji, and Konosuke but I hear they are hard to find. Is it worth the effort to hunt for these when I'm surrounded by knifemakers?

Also taking advice on specific knives to look out for

Australia, but travelling to Japan

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
gyuto or bunka

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210-240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
60,000Y

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Meats and veggies

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Sakai Takayuki gyuto in AEB-L

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking and pushing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Wood
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

Back