Where Would You Like To Live?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd take serious consideration into Deauville, France; Paris (in the Marais, perhaps); Zacatecas, Mexico; out by Del and Randy (close to home and a beautiful area); Chicago, and probably Hawai'i, even though I haven't been lucky enough to go there, yet....

Almost making the list: Lisbon, Salamanca, Cabo - San Jose, Vancouver, Quebec City, Ottawa.

I almost picked up a job in Florida on Marathon Key last year and was extremely excited about that prospect. I love Austin Tx and would consider that very easily.

Coming from Japan, it may be kind of lame to say this... but I'd love to live in Tokyo or Kamakura again! It's really fun place to live... and at the end of the day, it's very comfortable there :) !

Closer yet, I'd love to live in Malibu!

If it weren't for the fact the country is basically run by criminal elements, I would love to live in Montenegro. That is one of my off-the-map desires. Sremski Karlovci, Serbia is also on the list.

k.

Considering walkability, food (especially fresh seafood), music, architecture and low cost of living I would love to live in New Orleans.

However we live near wine country in Southwestern Ontario, and would continue to do so for the beautiful Summer and Fall and health care of course.

Puerto Rico, Japan, Eugene or Portland, New York, Dallas(again), San Fran

I love how no one ever mentions New York City. So much food, so many people who love to cook and eat, so many restaurants with so many jobs for people with knives, and so many chances to start over no matter where you're from, how old you are, what you did wrong, or what color is your skin--there's always room for you. True, there isn't much room in your apartment. But how much space does a gyuto or two really take up? :biggrin:

If it weren't for the fact the country is basically run by criminal elements, I would love to live in Montenegro...

k.

I wouldn't that little detail stop you, many think the same could be said of our stateside government (regardless of party). :D

I love how no one ever mentions New York City. So much food, so many people who love to cook and eat, so many restaurants with so many jobs for people with knives, and so many chances to start over no matter where you're from, how old you are, what you did wrong, or what color is your skin--there's always room for you. True, there isn't much room in your apartment. But how much space does a gyuto or two really take up? :biggrin:

So do you have a nice job for me and my knives over there :p ?

I'm currently in Kyoto (about my 4th visit) and I think I could handle it here. Shame my work closed its Kyoto office some years back.

Puerto Rico, Japan, Eugene or Portland, New York, Dallas(again), San Fran

You know if you decide to go to Japan, I'll send you to my family friends' restaurants (I wouldn't even ask you whether you want to go, but rather literally send you there)... you won't get bored there!

You know if you decide to go to Japan, I'll send you to my family friends' restaurants (I wouldn't even ask you whether you want to go, but rather literally send you there)... you won't get bored there!

Even more reason to go! Cj said she would be down to go for at least a year so now we just have to figure out how we're gonna do it. Step#1-learn to speak Japanese lol

So, are you guys looking for a health psychologist with public health experience - then I might consider it ;) I love visiting the city, but I still think I would be overwhelmed living there. Sensory overload. As much as I like to think of myself as a cosmopolitan person, cities around 1 million people seem to be my limit. They offer enough stimuli but I can still find some peace and quiet when I need it.

Stefan

I decided along time ago never to live anywhere it gets cold again.
I'm currently in Cairns and loving it , shorts & Tshirt all year round.

I decided along time ago never to live anywhere it gets cold again.
I'm currently in Cairns and loving it , shorts & Tshirt all year round.

I was only there as a tourist but I loved it. Very relaxed place. Diving and snorkling over the reef are among my fondest memories ever. Just wish I had any skills to survive in a place like that....

Stefan

Even more reason to go! Cj said she would be down to go for at least a year so now we just have to figure out how we're gonna do it. Step#1-learn to speak Japanese lol

Fantastic! We should talk only in Japanese from now on.... We have to tell you what kind of embarrassing mistakes Jon made in Japan this year - there will be a lot of good (?) lessons from those stories.

Fantastic! We should talk only in Japanese from now on.... We have to tell you what kind of embarrassing mistakes Jon made in Japan this year - there will be a lot of good (?) lessons from those stories.

Ha! That all sounds rad.

So many cool places fall into that "if you could afford it" category. Having essentially grown up in Miami and moved away when I was 27, I have said for years that South Florida falls into that category just like New York. If you have the scratch to live well (and it takes a LOT), then it would be badass. if not, then prepare to be miserable. I have only been to LA and San Francisco once each, but they strike me as the same. A few of my favorite cities where you probably could live well without having the last name Koch or Gates would be Atlanta, DFW, Austin (maybe), Charlotte, Cincinnati, Orlando (barely)and a few others. For an overseas adventure, Today, I would say anywhere within say a 150-200 mile radius of Gembloux, Belgium where i go for the knife show every year for starters.

In the supple bosom of Christina Hendricks.

zCK3Wl.jpg
[/IMG]

Mmmmm yes.

I'm about a year away from moving and France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Austria are all on the radar.

If I could pick to have dual citizenship anywhere in the world though it would be Switzerland.

Switzerland huh? I think they are pretty tough with the citizenship rules. My first daughter was born in Chêne-Bougeries/Geneva and she gets no benefit from being born there. But I agree with you that it would be a nice place to live.

k.

Another "grew up in Miami". I'm pretty happy with the Pacific Northwest. Stunningly gorgeous geography, some nice cities to visit, great place for outdoor activities. The biggest problem we've had is that there isn't enough rain in the summer (seriously.)

You do not have to be rich to enjoy Hawaii.I started working in kitchens at night so I could surf in the daytime.I tried being a waiter but I sucked at that & landed in the back of the house.Line cook at Nick's Fishmarket.

Also worked charter boats for 3 yrs.fun job but low pay,saw all the Islands fr.Niihau to the Big Island Fr. the water.

My sweetie likes every thing that's free.She knows all the free stuff going on.I take her Costco & she hits all the sample tables.Free Hawaiian music,all the fairs,Chinatown,Kapiolani park.She is a Nurse good pay,but would rather spend it on food & travel.

I would like to go to New Zeland

Me? North of Denver, south of Longmont, east of Boulder (all in Colorado), or a close #2 Norman, OK. My wife's family is moving to CO, and of course Norman is my home town. No bigger reasons that that.

So, are you guys looking for a health psychologist with public health experience - then I might consider it ;) I love visiting the city, but I still think I would be overwhelmed living there. Sensory overload. As much as I like to think of myself as a cosmopolitan person, cities around 1 million people seem to be my limit. They offer enough stimuli but I can still find some peace and quiet when I need it.

Stefan

I love living in nyc, and like RiffRaff said this city has everything except apartment space. LOL It's a wonderful city and you never get bored, but it gets exhausting and definitely not for everyone. Heck, sometimes I don't think it's for me either. If I could live anywhere I would like to live in Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, Sweden, London, or Gibraltar (UK).

If I were to choose from any of the places Mr.Dinky listed, it would be Walla Walla. I hear Portland is really nice too. :)

Back